Hello Guest

4wd, converting, etc....

• 5 Replies

Offline kellis5137

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
4wd, converting, etc....
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
Hey all,
So I was just thinking about something. I've been wanting to convert my 2000 Chevy Tracker to 4wd. A lot of people say "just buy one and make it easy on yourself." However, I love my Tracker; no rust, good shape, and I've done a lot to it. And really, the only thing I see as really difficult in the conversion is all the electrical; the harnesses/solenoids for the locking hubs, the switches in the transfer case, and whether it's easy to hook up to the existing harness and ECU.

However, the transfer case is strictly mechanical, you use the gear shift lever to engage it, correct? If so, then this just leaves the front hubs. If so, then if I install manual locking hubs, then there shouldn't be a need for the solenoid, electronics, etc, correct? If I'm correct, I should just need:
- Transfer case
- Front and rear driveshafts
- Complete front axle
- Manual lockers

I'm new to 4wd vehicals, have a good amount of experience with small cars; have rebuilt engines (short of mill work, had shops do that), suspensions, body work, so the mechanical doesn't scare me. Neither does electrical, but if I'm right, this just got a lot simpler. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Keith

Online fordem

Re: 4wd, converting, etc....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »
You have the concept right, but the reality will be different.

First - the 2000 model doesn't use freewheeling front hubs - the freewheel mechanism is built into the front differential so it's not as simple as adding manual hubs and deleting the solenoids, electronics, etc. - there are ways around this, such as welding the mechanism engaged, or swapping in a third member from the previous generation, but that also requires some fiddling with the axleshafts to get it right.

Second - the 2WD/4WD transmissions are different, so it's not as simple as bolting the transfer case onto your existing transmission, you'll have to get the transmission and transfer case.

I also believe there are differences in the front suspension knuckles and possibly the hubs, so they may also need to be replaced.

One of the reasons people will tell you to buy one is that the cost of all these bits & pieces is going to add up -  think carefully about it.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
You will also want to check on the frame.  I know on the 1st gen Tracker/Sidekicks the 2wd frame doesn't have all of the mounts for the front differential.  So you might need to weld on some additional brackets as well.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Tracker 99

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
I just did this to my Tracker. It's a lot easier than everyone makes it out to be. If you want to get some ideas about what I did and got let me know.

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »
Why not write it up for all to see?

What did you start with?  What parts did you change in the process?  What fabrication (if any) was required?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Tracker 99

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:24:38 AM »
It was bolt in. I Picked up a Transmission with transfer case and the drive shafts out of a 99 Vitara. Also make sure you get the crossmember for the transmission I thought they were the same but they are not. Then I got a cast iron front housing out of a Grand Vitara. Used a older center section to remove the bladder. In doing such I had to use the older style mount for it I had to grind a bit of it off to fit the wider crossmember and the drivers axle shaft from a 98 Sidekick. Brand new CV shafts with the thrust washers from the Grand Vitara. I also did new seals on it all while it was out. So inner and outer axle seals along with the transfer case.  I then searched eBay for manual hubs for the 99 to 05 Vitara. The 2x4 front wheel bearing assembly is the same as the 4x4 just have to pry the caps out. No welding was needed at all. It was unbolt and bolt it all in.The only wiring I had to deal with was the speed sensor needed extended a few inches so when I took the one out of the 4x4 I got the extra from there. That's not all I did to it but that is everything to do the swap. If you want the bladder to work then it will get more complicated to a point but only with wiring.