Hello Guest

Timing chain

• 7 Replies

Offline phuzz

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Timing chain
« on: December 23, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
Is it necessary to drop the p/s rack, front diff, and oil pan to replace the timing chain on a 1999 chev. Tracker like all data says?

Online fordem

Re: Timing chain
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
What engine is in the Tracker?

On the 2.0 you can get away without removing any of the stuff listed - BUT - you need to be very careful, as soon as you remove the front cover, stuff a shop rag into the opening to the oil pan - if you drop anything (like the woodruff key) down there, you'll have to get the oil pan off to get it back, and getting the pan off requires dropping the diff.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline phuzz

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
2.0l j20 I believe.  I got a little ambitious this weekend, I went ahead and pulled the timing cover and the valve cover. Removed and replaced both chains. None of the timing marks on the old chain or the new chain seem to line up where they're supposed to. No matter how many times I turn the engine over by hand. Although it does seem that the timing marks on the gears seem to line up, And the engine does not ever seem to stop when I turn the crank by hand so I tend to think maybe I got it right. If I got it wrong, wouldn't one of the rods connect to one of the Pistons and stop me from turning the motor over? I did not put any of the covers back on it yet

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
First - the timing marks on the chains are just assembly aids, the marks on the cam & crank gears are what are critical.

Second - some after-market chains are known to be incorrectly marked.

If you can get the marks on the gears to line up correctly, and repeat every two turns of the crank, I'd say you're good to go.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline phuzz

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
So, The timing chain replacement went well, now 6 months later I have a weird rattle noise coming from the front cover. The noise is intermittent and happens during acceleration, deceleration, cruising, and at idle, but it is not constant. When I replaced the chain, I also replaced the guides, tensioners, and keyway. Any ideas?

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:20:45 AM »
Noises in front there can also be the accessory drive belt pulleys - remove the belts and spin the idler & tensioner pulleys by hand, they should spin smoothly & silently, if they don't replace them, also check the fan mount assembly.

Please bear in mind that, depending on the quality of the parts used, the noise could well be in the timing chain area again - there is also an idler sprocket in there.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »
I had changed every pulley in the front of the 2.0 when I had it, just spinning it on the motor won't tell you if the bearings are bad. I removes them one by one and spun them close to my ear and when removing them it let's you feel how smooth the bearings are, but when I spun them if they made any grinding or howling noise I replaced it. It took a year to find all which pulleys were bad but I finally got all them to run quiet and then the motor purred like a kitten
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline phuzz

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
So I've been trying to avoid pulling the timing cover hoping to find this rattle elsewhere, but that just isn't the case.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=inQi13Q4BAM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-vxyZWOA0o
Neither of these are my truck, but this is what's going on. It seems like at some points when the engine is running, the top tensioner looses pressure or something and retracts causing slack at the top of the top chain. Have no idea why