Hello Guest

Pistons

• 11 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Pistons
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
I saw a thread about 10.5 to 1 pistons for the 8V 1.6 in the regular Suzuki forum and it got me thinking ( I know, dangerous  :laugh: ) Can a 1.6 16V be over bored enough to fit the 1.8 pistons? does anybody know how they get the displacement increase? Stroke and bore ? or just bigger bore? A 1.8 with high comp pistons and a good head job, header and proper fueling may be a better all around engine that a turbo'd one. Better bottom end for sure. Just thinking out loud. 
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Online fordem

Re: Pistons
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Ahhh - you do realise that the two engines have significant differences and in fact belong to two different families - the 1.6 is the G series, and the 1.8 is a J series - the J series are quite a bit larger.

The 1.6 bore is 74.9mm (2.95in), the 1.8 bore is 83.9mm (3.31in) - so quite a bit larger and no, I don't think they'll fit.

It is possible to shoehorn a J series engine in, and if you want to go that route, consider a J20, they are physically the same size and there are more of them around.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bentparts

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
Thanks Fordem, no plans to do an engine swap, just have this long block layin around begging for some attention. I just can't leave things alone  :laugh: Appreciate the info though!

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 06:15:45 AM »
The cylinder bore centerlines of the Jengines are significantly larger than the G series engines, physically a taller and longer engine. The pistons wil not work regardless of how they could be modified.

But 16v dohc swift pistons can be canabilized for use with a 16v sohc head per what I have read on TeamSwift.net
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline bentparts

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
Kinda a moot point anyway since Ecoast is gonna be getting my old engine now.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:37:36 AM »
It is possible to shoehorn a J series engine in, and if you want to go that route, consider a J20, they are physically the same size and there are more of them around.

If anyone is considering the j20 engine, they might as well step up to the j23.  I have read that it will work fine, in place of the j20.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
I'm just guessing here but do the 20 and 23 refer to size as in CC ? Still a four cylinder correct?  I like the idea of more displacement but still in a small ( inline 4 ) package. A mildly boosted engine that size could easily support 200+ hp and have decent torque to boot.  Should still be fairly economic too.  Hmmmmmm

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
I'm just guessing here but do the 20 and 23 refer to size as in CC ? Still a four cylinder correct?  I like the idea of more displacement but still in a small ( inline 4 ) package. A mildly boosted engine that size could easily support 200+ hp and have decent torque to boot.  Should still be fairly economic too.  Hmmmmmm

J20=2.0L
J23=2.3L
Both are inline 4 cylinders.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 04:09:13 AM »
Thanks Sky.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
You will need the oil pan and pick-up tube from a Tracker/Vitara if you go with the 2.3 or 2.0 from a Aerio though. 
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bentparts

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »
You will need the oil pan and pick-up tube from a Tracker/Vitara if you go with the 2.3 or 2.0 from a Aerio though. 

Thanks Drone. I'm not going to do anything soon, just run the turbo engine for another 100000 + miles I hope  ;D. I'm just playin around with ideas for now. Isn't the Aerio a FWD with transverse mounted engine?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
Thanks Drone. I'm not going to do anything soon, just run the turbo engine for another 100000 + miles I hope  ;D. I'm just playin around with ideas for now. Isn't the Aerio a FWD with transverse mounted engine?

Yea, but it will fit fine since they have the same block.  You will also need a different water outlet unless you punch a hole in your firewall.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing