Hello Guest

Hawk 260 torque cam question!

• 18 Replies

Offline KJMac

Hawk 260 torque cam question!
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
I bought a 260 torque cam for my 16 valve 1.6 sidekick. While adjusting the intake I noticed some issues. Trail tough didn't say you need modified intake Rockers with this cam. I bought used intake Rockers that appear to be stock because I modified mine for lash caps for a cam I had ground that didn't work out! Do I need the modified Rockers??
Low range says they are required. Can somebody help??

Is anybody running this cam and modified rockers  or stock rockers
Thanks,
Kj
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:55:03 PM by KJMac »
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Re: Hawk 260 torque cam question!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
Probably not much help but I had a cam ground to allow the motor to rev and have it installed with stock rockers with no issues. Is there that much difference between a torque cam and a revving cam that would cause interference?
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
Brent told me that as long as your existing rockers are in good shape and not worn, then there is no issue running the torquer cam without modified rockers. He has the existing stock of those cams and has been running them without modified rockers since Hawk started selling them years ago. The torquer cam provides LESS lift than a stock cam, it has a fatter less pointy cam lobe that is repositioned/rotated for long duration low rpm torque. So I have been running the cam with stock rockers now for several thousand miles and absolutely no issues,,,well other than being a guttless wonder on the top end, gobs of torque down low! Going to be getting a different cam to run in a few weeks(after deer huning season) from Altered Ego, their performance grind.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:15:50 PM by talonxracer »
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline KJMac

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
What happened to my setup was the lobe of the cam was hitting the jam nut for the lash adjusting screw. Is your cam a lot bigger than stock? Is the intake rocker at a steep angle? Is your adjusting screw out a long ways?
Thanks for you help! I just wanted to know if they welded your cam or just took it off the base circle.
Do you know what the specs on the cam are?

Thank you,
Kj
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
Biker, Talonxracer,

Thank for the help! I'm hoping this cam will work good with my garrett T2554!
Good torque with forced air up top!

Talon,
Is yours dead on top? What computer are you running in yours?

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
The adjusters are out a fair amount as the Hawk had a smaller base circle, I didnt notice any clearance issues.

But I do think it is a overly noisey valve train, but not much different than the stock cam was if any. Now ya got me wondering, but I think I would have had a failure or expansion of noise in 3K miles.

No power up top, everything is down low from idle up to 3800-4K, I installed a offset crank timing key which lowers the power band of the torquer cam even more. She will spin to higher rpm's but there is little additional power at all from 4800 and up. Not the best combo if you expect to do alot of mudding or 80mph. It is great for trail riding and cruising the back roads, at 55mph in 5th gear it has far more grunt and downshifting is needed far less. Improved fuel mileage having more gumption in the cruising rpms. I am thinking I might give it a whirl without the timing key and see what the results are.

31x10.5x15's, 5.12 thirds

Offline KJMac

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »
Talonxracer,
I would be interested to see what the difference would be? How much degree offset is in the key??
I think it would be better to run it straight up......might be worth a try. How does the motor run with the cam,
Smooth? What are you running for fuel management?

Brent at trail tough told me these cams mess with the factory computer so don't run it with an OBD1 Computer. It is lean at idle
Rich in the middle and lean on top.

Could always retard it two degrees? I have same tires and gears  as you.

Thanks for the great info you have shared!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:11:03 PM by KJMac »

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:35 AM »
I am running a stock ECU, OBDII, my kick is a 98' JX. The short term/long term fuel trim handles it with no issues.

I used a 4 degree offset timing key on the crank, this only advances the cam 2 degrees and the engine produces power down low that is smoothly available, no stumbles, no flatness, no detonation. Fuel mileage went up a fair amount over the stock cam and key.

I have a coated and wrapped XtremeZuks 16v header, 2.25" high flow Magnaflow cat, 2" mandrel bent exhaust piping, a turbo muffler with a K&N air filter for the stock airbox(gonna try a ricer conical filter sometime soon).

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »
I had my cam reground at Colt Cams to work in the top end as I have lots of gearing options for slower driving but wanted a bit of help on the highway. 94 16v on 36" tires. I had no intention of adding a turbo at the time but the lack of power soon got the best of me and I moved ahead with the install. Above 4k this thing is like a rocket, turbo is spooled up and cam is in it's sweet spot. I'm not sure if having a dead cam above 4k will work against the boost  or not have an effect, I'd be really interested to hear your findings.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
The research I've done on the turbo thing leads me to believe that a STOCK cam is better for boosting a stock motor. Same with compression, you want to keep as much of the stock low rpm power and characteristics as possible. The turbo normally does it's thing at higher rpms anyway, that's where the exhaust heat and pressure are the greatest. With a cam ground for lots of duration at low rpm, ( providing more cylinder filling down low ) the engine will run out of breathing capability right when the turbo should start working. I doubt if there would be any real gains in power.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline KJMac

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
Talonxracer,
I wish mine was OBD II butt it doesn't matter now, I'm running the megasquirt pnp kit with auto tune function.
I bet that does run nice, I would lose the key and see how it runs.

Bentparts,
I would be running the stock cam if it didn't have 3 bad lobes! Lol. I figured I would try the Hawk cam for torque and the hairdryer should let it run up to 5000 and still building power, we will see! If not I might retard the cam 2* or so. I had a 5 angle valve job and the machinest put a a back cut on the valve too. It will be interesting!
From the research I have done the turbo and nitrous cams work the best for turbo applications in any engine. The stock cam should work very good in turbo applications, it worked good in mine for the way the head Gasket was leaking and the valves were leaking too. Can't wait to get this going, it would be but my back and ms is acting up! I will report feedback!

Bentparts, didn't you say yours runs really good? What front springs.did you go with?

Thank you guys for the great info!

Offline bentparts

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:04:56 AM »
I'm using the old style FOA springs, 550LB. Yes, mine does run good. With all the valve and head work you've done I bet yours will run GREAT  ;D

Offline KJMac

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Bentparts,
Thanks for your help! Are those springs 16"? I hope it runs good! Lol. I need to quit being lazy and get it running!

Offline bentparts

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 04:08:42 AM »
Yes, 16" trimmed to proper ride height.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
How much suspension lift are you running now? I'm going to run lash caps with the 260 cam to level the intake rocker ARM and fix the geometry of the intake rocker!