Hello Guest

CV Carb questions

• 2 Replies

Offline 2sunaz

CV Carb questions
« on: October 13, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
I had a CV carb installed about 5 months ago.  For the most part, I really like the way it performs, gas mileage, and response, but it is really a cold starter.  I pull out the choke and it starts immediately, but really sputters for the first mile or so every morning.  On occasion, I have to pull over or it will die... This is all after letting it warm up for about 5 minutes before driving it.
I have the Myside 2 kit and the low jet is a 44 and the high is a 190.

Any ideas how I can get it to run a little better out of the driveway?  After it's been on the road for a mile or so, it's perfect.  I'm getting 28-30 city driving and it's my daily driver.  It'll run cold like this every time after it's been sitting for several hours.
It's an '87.  Plugs look perfect.  I have an electric fuel pump and what looks like a filter between the fuel pump and carb.  It might be a pressure reducer of sorts....

Any ideas????   Thanks

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: CV Carb questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
I would give Zor a call and see what Byron has to say.  He is pretty good at supporting his products.

On my SJ-410 it had a side draft and I just ran it with the choke open until it warmed up.  The advantage of a manual choke.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: CV Carb questions
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
A CV carb like that, I'm assuming it's a Harley 40mm, has an enrichment circuit rather than a traditional "choke." Even on a Harley they were always a bit on the lean side, especially off the bottom and when cold. If the carb was pre jetted for you, you may want to find out what the pilot and main jets are and go up one size on the pilot. There are also several really good upgrade kits available for that carb via the motorcycle aftermarket, or even your local HD dealer. A good kit for that carb is a Dynojet kit, which comes with a new needle that's adjustable, softer more responsive slide spring, richer pilot jet and a tool ( a large metal screw and drill bit really ) to remove the idle air mixture plug installed at the factory to prevent tampering and meet EPA emissions, if it hasn't already been removed. If it has you can try richening the idle mixture by backing out the mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time.  Hope this helps.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER