Hello Guest

Best timing belt brand

• 23 Replies

Offline RJkick

Best timing belt brand
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
Anyone have a brand that works best\reliable\strong?

Napa, Duralast, Gates, Cloyes, Beck\Arnley, Melling, etc.
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
Re: Best timing belt brand
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
I went with the Napa brand, which is made by Gates... same kit, different brand on it for less money.
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
I have used many Napa belts and have had no problems.  Most belts are good enough, it's the oil, coolant and lack of maintance that kills them.
The Price is Right!

Offline RJkick

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
Napa sounds good then.  I have the old one off with about 30k on it so I figure I might as well replace it.  It still looks good but why not right

thanks
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
Under normal driving conditions they call for replacing it every 60k or 5 years (which ever comes first).  I also know that Suzuki engines are interference motors!  I've seen people push their belts to the limit alot.  It takes like 30 min. to change and not many require special tools, why risk it?!!!
The Price is Right!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
Under normal driving conditions they call for replacing it every 60k or 5 years (which ever comes first).  I also know that Suzuki engines are interference motors!  I've seen people push their belts to the limit alot.  It takes like 30 min. to change and not many require special tools, why risk it?!!!

Actually, most suzuki (trackick and samurai) engines are non-interference.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1841229-timing_belt_broke_went_replace_head

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/suzuki-samurai-engine_repair_guide-1867.html

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/timing_belt/suzuki/samurai.html

I'd really like to believe you but here are four places that stat otherwise.  Where are people reading that it isn't a interference engine???  You'd think it would be straight forward on this question but everytime I turn over a new rock, I find a different answer.  Is it or isn't it a interference motor???
The Price is Right!

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »
Do not use any reference other than the FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1841229-timing_belt_broke_went_replace_head

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/suzuki-samurai-engine_repair_guide-1867.html

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/timing_belt/suzuki/samurai.html

I'd really like to believe you but here are four places that stat otherwise.  Where are people reading that it isn't a interference engine???  You'd think it would be straight forward on this question but everytime I turn over a new rock, I find a different answer.  Is it or isn't it a interference motor???

I don't really care whether you believe me or not.
I read a lot of shit on the internet that is incorrect too.  If you want to go ahead and keep telling people that they are interference engines, then knock yourself out.  But everytime I see it, I'll contradict your information.
Personal experience and others personal experiences is what proves they are not interference engines. 
I have stripped the teeth off the timing belt on a 1.3 samurai engine, that had been sitting for awhile, while attempting to get it running.....the result....I needed a new timing belt.  Once I got it running it ran perfectly and has for years.  I have turned the engine over on 1.6 8Vs and 1.6 16Vs, with the timing belt off....the result...no damage.
There have been others that have broken timing belts on 1.6 8V and 1.6 16V engines, while running down the road....the result....they needed a new timing belt.  A new timing belt and the engine ran perfectly....no valve damage.
I suspect the reasons most places state to not turn the engine over with the timing belt removed is for liability purposes....or they are just clueless, so better to be safe than sorry.

In your first link, it states....
1985-94 1.3L Samurai Sidekick
1) The only year the sidekick could have had a 1.3 was some of the early model year 89s.
2)  What about the 95 samurais?  The 95 samurai had the same 1.3 as the earlier ones. 
3)  The 1.8 16V suzuki engines in the 96-98 sidekick sports are known and proven interference engines.  But yet they don't mention those at all.  Same deal with the 2.0s.
Incomplete and inaccurate info, IMO.

In your second link....
All that reference is, is someones opinion that doesn't know what they are talking about.  Where did they get their info?  Probably from one of your other links. ::)

In your third link...
All that list is, is a copy of the list in your first link.
This is how misinformation gets spread.  Someone, or some website, states something and others start reiterating it and the misinformation spreads like wildfire and most people start believing it, because "so and so said this...so it must be true".

In your fourth link...
It says some years of samurais have interference engines, but others don't.  They all use the same damn engine!!
Again, misinformation and inaccurate info.

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »
That is the point I was trying to make, I heard two different things?  I have looked up many other makes/models and I have never seen two different answers.  I'll call it a non-interference engine from now, but it won't change how/when I replace it.  Yes, I don't believe much I read on the internet but isn't it your first place to go when looking for info, gather and much as you can and then decide foryourself whether you will go with it or not?  I use alldatapro and I dug and dug for that answer and nothing.  As a professional mechanic, I have ran across where a FSM is wrong.  Not because the manufacturer is wrong, it is just a printing error.  Poor communication while making FSM's because of two different languages.  FWD tell you that this wire is blue when it can actually be yellow.  I use my best judgment to make sure I fix it right the first time.  With customers, I'm not taking a chance with their engine.  And your right, manufacturers label those to cover their own butt.  Just like how I will replace it on time, to cover my own butt.  So hats off to you, continue to run them tell they break.
The Price is Right!

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
That is the point I was trying to make, I heard two different things?  I have looked up many other makes/models and I have never seen two different answers.  I'll call it a non-interference engine from now, but it won't change how/when I replace it.  Yes, I don't believe much I read on the internet but isn't it your first place to go when looking for info, gather and much as you can and then decide foryourself whether you will go with it or not?  I use alldatapro and I dug and dug for that answer and nothing.  As a professional mechanic, I have ran across where a FSM is wrong.  Not because the manufacturer is wrong, it is just a printing error.  Poor communication while making FSM's because of two different languages.  FWD tell you that this wire is blue when it can actually be yellow.  I use my best judgment to make sure I fix it right the first time.  With customers, I'm not taking a chance with their engine.  And your right, manufacturers label those to cover their own butt.  Just like how I will replace it on time, to cover my own butt.  So hats off to you, continue to run them tell they break.

I go to the FSM for my info.  The suzuki FSMs are really good about accurate info, in my experience.  The only issue I have ran across in a suzuki fsm is a torque spec that was wrong....they had it designated as ft.lbs, instead of in.lbs.....40 ft.lbs. is a little different from 40 in.lbs.
If I do go to the internet for info, I go to a dedicated zuk website, not some random website that gets their info from who knows where.
I never said I run the belts until they break and I am not condoning anyone else doing it either, just because they are non-interference engines.  Generally, when I get a vehicle, that I don't know the maintenance on, I replace the belt (as well as other tune up basics and adjustments).  It is relatively cheap and easy to do.  Plus it gives people peace of mind, when they are buying a vehicle that has had the tune up and adjustments done by someone that knows what the hell they are doing.  Many people that work on vehicles don't have a F'ing clue when it comes to maintenance and tuneups....and they screw up more things than they fix.  I have had lots of people that have bought zuks from me, come back to me for any repairs/maintenance/etc., either because they don't know of anyone around that works on zuks, and/or don't trust anyone else to do it right.
Yes, you do have to use some common sense, when working on any vehicle.  Do I go by the recommended 7500 mile oil change interval, that is on the sticker on the underside of the hood on zuks?  Hell no.  I have always done 3000 mile oil and filter changes and will continue to do so.
My suggestion for you is to not come in here and act like you know it all about these zuks because "you read it on the internet".  Sit back, read, figure out who on this site, or any other zuk site, knows their shit and who doesn't.  And if you have something useful and accurate to post, then do it.  Just because you are a mechanic, doesn't mean shit, IMO.  There are lots of people on these zuk sites that have forgotten more about zuks than most "mechanics" ever knew about them.  That is not necessarily a slam against mechanics, it is just that a lot of us only work on zuks, so we know them inside and out, where mechanics work on all makes and models of vehicles, so they only know a little about a lot of vehicles.

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
I do agree with you 100%.  Although I am not some ordinary mechanic.  I take pride in my craft and practice, I am here to help and share experiences with my zuke.
The Price is Right!

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
So this is pretty funny.  When I got to work, I headed for my Autodata Timing belt book 06Edition:  In all Samurai and Sidekick years it states that the 1.3L is a interference engine with most likely cause of piston/valve contact.  I wasn't convinced and went to the back of the book to read it's disclaimers.  In fine print |removethispart||removethispart|@ the bottome of the page, it reads:  "Although the information contained within this volume has been obtained from sources generally thought to be reliable, no warranty can be made as to its accuracy or completeness, nor is any responsibility assumed by Autodata Publications Inc.  Piece of shit, I paid good money from Matco for this info. 

Anyways, I called Suzuki Tech Hotline and the dude told me it IS NOT INTEFERENCE or freewheeling, whatever you want to call it.  Though I replace my t-belt on time, I do not have any experience in running it till it breaks and finding out the hard way, I choose to error on the caution side.  My zuk means more to me then most other things and I will not risk anything.  The only explination I can think of is most places I gathered my info was more then likely connected to some sort of parts company, in hopes of making a extra buck of someone!  I do apologize for any misleading info/headache I may have caused.
The Price is Right!

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
No worries, any day that goes without learning something new is a day wasted!
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline jcowdin

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »
That is what I love about this industry, you learn something new every day.  Somone once told me, we are smarter then most doctors.  They spent time studying one thing to work on the rest of their life.  We have many things to study and the industry changes every 26 mins. (or something like that).  We must always be on our toes to keep up!  Yes, the old zuks are no longer in production but there will always be something that fails and will need fixed.  My best tool to have in my box can only be found between my ears!
The Price is Right!