Hello Guest

New t-case, what oil should I put in?

• 5 Replies

Offline crewcabrob

New t-case, what oil should I put in?
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
Hi all,

I just got a new/rebuilt t-case today.  I plan on swapping it in this weekend so what oil should I put in it? 

I got it from Low Range with 6.5:1 gears to compensate for my 32" tires I will be adding.

Thanks,

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline crewcabrob

Re: New t-case, what oil should I put in?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
Actually, I have two more questions.  First, shift sheets?  I'm lost and need to know if I should get a new one for the new t-case.

Also, I purchased a mighty Kong skid/mount.  I was reading the directions and it says to not use urethane mounts and that standard mounts will tear.  It says they recommend a solid mount system.  What do I need to have to do this right?

Thanks,

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »
80/90 gear oil is what I run in all my tcases.
I highly recommend twinsticks for the tcase (it allows you to shift into 2wd, when you are in low range).  This is beneficial when you need the slow speed of low range, but you don't need the traction of 4wd.  It also makes it easier to steer, when you are off road and you can turn sharper, when it isn't in 4wd on high traction surfaces.
If you don't decide to run twinsticks, then I would recommend replacing the tcase shift sheet.  The brass one from ZOR (zuks off road) is very nice.
One of the guys I wheel with runs a kong and has used the stock rubber mounts.  Nothing wrong with doing that.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:09:35 AM »
Thank you for the reply.  The information is great!

I will pick up 80/90 weight oil for the t-case.

I'm not going to be running a twin stick or twisted sister in my case.  I thought long and hard about it, but the times I need low range, I will most likely need 4wd too.  I will deal with the decreased turning radius and other draw backs.  For the couple of times a year that I can actually wheel my Sami, I'm willing to put up with some compromises.  The new t-case gears were for general driveablility as much as crawling, maybe more.

I'm such a noob at the Sami stuff.  I will need to pick up a new shift sheet for the install.

Thank you for the opinion on the rubber mounts.  I think Jonny Rash said he likes to run the stock mounts as they act like fuses for the drive line.

Rob

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
The brass one from ZOR (zuks off road) is very nice.
One of the guys I wheel with runs a kong and has used the stock rubber mounts.  Nothing wrong with doing that.

I ordered one today.  I will wait until it gets here to drop the new t-case in.

Thanks,

Rob

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
The brass one from ZOR (zuks off road) is very nice.

I ordered one today.  I will wait until it gets here to drop the new t-case in.

Thanks,

Rob

You can wait if you want to, but a shift sheet is very easy to replace, even with the tcase in.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.