Hello Guest

Fine tuning engine controlls.

• 6 Replies

Offline Joe Llamahead

Fine tuning engine controlls.
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:40 PM »
People, I just aquired a 95  2 door ragtop tracker, I been reading up and planing my build on this rig for daily and off road use (trails and dunes)
 I'm wondering what are people doing for engine management aftemods likecam headers, head porting mods and injectors .
So far I havemt seen any info.
 Hook a brutha up?

Offline KJMac

Re: Fine tuning engine controlls.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »
Hello,
I'm currently doing a new head Gasket and valve job on my 1995 4dr that is lifted 5 1/2" that was done by my brother and I. NO body lift, I used Ford ranger springs in the front and jeep LJ springs in the back. The front needed big spacers to match the back. I dropped the a-arm and diff brackets 4.5". I had a 5 angle valve job but no porting, the head flows plenty good so I'm having a cam custom ground as we speak to compliment the turbo I'm running. It is mild and should work well without a turbo too!! I'm also using megasquirt pnp DIY from diyautotune.com. I don't know what you are looking for as far as lift but we are using our rigs for the same thing. I hunt out of it and run the dunes so I can't get to wild. I would look around on here for ideas for lift kits or spring spacers.
Good luck with your new ride! Any questions just ask!

Kj
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Are you running a 16V? 16V is a MAF based system so its reasonably tolerant to tuning mods.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Joe Llamahead

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Yes it's a 16v and it does have a MAF so I guess I don't have to tweak the fuel mix or timing curve.
I don't have to run a catalytic converter so I don't necerily have to run at 14.7:1 a/f ratio. So its megasquirt or let it self adjust, I thought I was missing something like flashing or burning a PROM.

Right now I'm undecided on tires and lift,I've settled on 235 75 15. - 30 9.50 15 or 31 10.50 15
2 or 3" lift. And adding a couple inches of wheelbase.

This car does not have power steering so that's gonna have to get changed  for sure !
Btw Rhinoman  do you have pet rhinos ?

Offline FireCkrEd

• My Church-San Pedro Revival Fellowship
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »
93 4dr Kick, stock, + 95 4dr W/TTough kit, Toy axles, 4.24 xfercase gears, 5.71 gears, Ramsey 9500 winch, twin stick xfercase, 33" BFG's
97, 4dr with a 2" lift (needs an engine re-build)
Spirit Filled Christian

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Yes it's a 16v and it does have a MAF so I guess I don't have to tweak the fuel mix or timing curve.
I don't have to run a catalytic converter so I don't necerily have to run at 14.7:1 a/f ratio. So its megasquirt or let it self adjust, I thought I was missing something like flashing or burning a PROM.
This car does not have power steering so that's gonna have to get changed  for sure !
Btw Rhinoman  do you have pet rhinos ?

ROM is internal in the 16V ECU,you need to fit a daughterboard with an EPROM to allow any tuning.
No rhinos in my garden, just chickens. The early Suzuki offroaders were known as Rhinos in the UK and the official Suzuki owner's club was the Rhino Club, the Rhino is still very much associated with the Suzuki off roaders.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Joe Llamahead

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
Good info Rhinoman! I did not know that about the uk and Suzuki off road machines. I have a Yamaha Rhino, it cannot be made street legal in Oregon (so its for sale) I'm going back to a tracker , I had a1.6 8v  tintop before the Rhino and gave it up due to my commute to work and fuel costs vs offroadabilaty.
Ive been to altered egos site but haven't seen any daughterboard or piggyback units to allow tuning anywhere. So,they do exist? where do I look ?