Hello Guest

rear springs up front?

• 18 Replies

Offline AZuki13

rear springs up front?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
What do i have to do to put rear sammy springs up front? Will it give me a lift up front? My sammy already has a spoa with stock springs.

Re: rear springs up front?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Go to lowrange offroad and by the missing links and make sure you have heavyduty shakles. Remove the helper spring out and add one from your old fronts. It will lift it a little and flex out good. Good luck!

Offline AZuki13

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Cool thanks

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
Really... Its that simple? I musta did a lot of extra stuff for nothin then.... LOL...
Mine is SPUA though so you will gain 3" on me here too with your SPOA setup.
Re-drilled the front rear spring holder
Re-located the shock mount on the front bottom spring pad
Installed longer brake lines
Installed 3" drop pitman arm
Installed1.5" driveshaft spacers
I didn't use ML but did fabricate my own shackles
It will give you maybe 1.5" depending on your springs / shackle combination.
Installed 1.5" wheel spacers to push the wheels out a bit more
Trimmed the fenders a bit to accommodate 34's
Added Bushwacker's for a better finished look

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:55:21 PM by tuxblacray »
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Really... Its that simple? I musta did a lot of extra stuff for nothin then.... LOL...
Mine is SPUA though so you will gain 3" on me here too with your SPOA setup.
Re-drilled the front rear spring holder
Re-located the shock mount on the front bottom spring pad
Installed longer brake lines
Installed 3" drop pitman arm
Installed1.5" driveshaft spacers
I didn't use ML but did fabricate my own shackles
It will give you maybe 1.5" depending on your springs / shackle combination.
Installed 1.5" wheel spacers to push the wheels out a bit more
Trimmed the fenders a bit to accommodate 34's
Added Bushwacker's for a better finished look

Yeah, actually you did do some stuff that is not necessary.
I ran RUFs SPUA for years, up until about a month ago (went to SPUA YJs).
I did use rear spring eye relocation brackets, that moved the spring eye back 2.5-3" (don't remember exactly).
I redrilled the pads and perches, so I could move the axle forward an inch, to center up the tire in the fenderwell.
I didn't have to change the lower shock mounts at all.  I did remove the uppers and put the f250 mounts in their place, so I could run shocks that had more travel.
I added longer brakelines.
I did not need a dshaft spacer.
I did not need a dropped pitman arm.
I originally used stock shackles, but did make some longer ones later on.
I did cut the fenders, to clear 33s (actually, it was more of a patch on the fenders, to cover up the rusted out fenders).
I did not run wheel spacers.
Bushwackers are not needed...but they do give it a nice look.
I did gain right about 1.5-2" of lift over stock springs.  I removed the overload from the rear pack and added all the leafs from the stock front pack, except for the main leaf.

I am still undecided about the YJs I run now (about whether I like them better than RUFs)....I am leaning towards that I like the RUFs better.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline 02CalTaco

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

I am still undecided about the YJs I run now (about whether I like them better than RUFs)....I am leaning towards that I like the RUFs better.

Why is that? Ive was thinking Yj's spua would be the perfect DD/Trail set up.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »

Why is that? Ive was thinking Yj's spua would be the perfect DD/Trail set up.

It may be the way I ended up setting my YJs up. 
I had to add an extra leaf, to get a little more lift out of them, because of some other mods I did (so while I can still compress them to the bumpstops, they are likely stiffer than the RUFs were...so the front doesn't flex as "easily" as the RUFs did). 
I also don't like the shackle angle I ended up with and that limits droop (I raised the shackle mounts on the frame and moved them to the front of the frame, to get the ends of the springs up higher, since I am running them SPUA). 
Also, with some of the mods I made, when I went to YJs, I had to limit the uptravel more that I would have liked to (I only have about 1.5" of uptravel...I'd like at least 2.5"). 
So in the end, I don't think they have the flex/travel they should have and they don't flex as easily.  I've only ran them on a couple of wheeling trips, so maybe as they get broke in, they will get better, but I'm not holding my breath.  I am going wheeling again this weekend, and this trip should give me a pretty good indication on how well they are going to work, because I am more familiar with this wheeling area and how my samurai does on these obstacles.
My rig is trail only, so the softer/nicer on road ride that comes from going to YJs is irrelevant in my situation.

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Yep, Sky your rite I did do a few things that aren't maybe necessary now. I did them with a thought process that I may want them later. Knowing your going up in the air a bit but not having built or seen a Samurai lifted has a few drawbacks. I bought some stuff that would be a plus because it was available used and may not pass this way again.

The pitman arm is may be a good example since I have yet to leave being SPUA and have since purchase Mercedes arms. Everything else seems to work very well overall and I don't think any would be overkill... Well maybe the Bushwackers but for a C-note I couldn't turn them down...

And... yeah there is that Z-Link hanging above the work bench that I will NEVER use... LOL

I just felt there was a bit more involved to it than this "Go to lowrange offroad and by the missing links and make sure you have heavy duty shakles. Remove the helper spring out and add one from your old fronts."
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
When I added the RUF to my existing SPOA I just put on some Ford shock towers (shocks moved forward half the length of the new springs), made some folding front shackles (to move shackle mount forward length of springs), and a 1" drive-line spacer.

If I was doing it over again for a DD I would build solid mounts for the front shackles instead of the folding shackle extensions.  They could get a bit sloppy with the larger tires not being in balance around 45.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
Drone / Sky

Since you mentioned your are Spoa / Ruf and Azuki 1.3 is Spoa / Ruf can I ask how you like it?  I think it is still in line with the original posting?

I have everything except the Ford shock towers to make the switch. (plus some...) Is there any drawbacks? If I do I would go with a full Hi-steer using the Mercedes arms.

Would the on road ride change? I cant see how it would since you are using the same components.

I have a few other suspension tricks to add yet but the would be non-ride suspension enhancements. (strictly off road adds) Right now it rides very nice on the road. I say this in comparison to a Jeep Cj5 that I did a Spoa lift on. Ruff Country would have been an appropriate name for it... Ha-Ha...

Anyway I respect your opinions so I thought I might throw the question out there and it might benefit me and Azuki 1.3 as well as others who might read this post.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
Compared to the stock springs it was night and day, a much smoother ride overall.  When I swapped out the BFG MTR's for Pro Comp's I had to do some fender trimming to make them fit, but other then that all worked well.

Having done a 4-link in the rear and seeing the improvement I would be hard pressed not to recommend looking at building a full linked suspension thought.   >:D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline AZuki13

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
tuxblacray I never drove my sammy at stock hight. I drove it for a few months the sway bar on and my 31s aired to 25psi and the ride was very rough. I pulled the sway bar off and it helped the ride out a lot now I run 15psi in my tires on the road and 5 to 10psi on the trail. When I get the money Ill do a RUF and let everyone know i like it. Ill most likey play around with the number of leafs for a while.

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »

My Spua / Ruf has the  stock Sami rear springs with the over load spring removed and the bottom two leaves from the stock Sami front added. The rears are 2" Calamini lift springs. Shocks are Calamini and the tires are Interarco TSL Super Swampers. The ride as is sits is outstanding. That is why I have a hesitation about going Spoa. Although I feel as though it shouldn't change the ride.

My main reason for going Spoa would be additional height. I want to add a set of OEM Samurai Nerf Bars that I have. I would also then add a removable Panhard Bar and a rear Traction Bar.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Drone / Sky

Since you mentioned your are Spoa / Ruf and Azuki 1.3 is Spoa / Ruf can I ask how you like it?  I think it is still in line with the original posting?

I am SPUA.

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »

I know Sky... I have salivated over building your bottom leaf pack plates if I stay Spua... They are pretty kewl. I included you because you [reviously replied... and you have been around the block and know yer stuff...  ;)