Hello Guest

How hard is it to replace a manual transmission with an auto in a Samurai?

• 6 Replies

Offline ti_co

Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first Samurai, and I'd really like an automatic transmission.  However, after months of searching nationwide, I've only found one with an auto, and it was full of rust.  How hard would it be to replace a 5 speed manual with an automatic?  Also, how hard is it to find an auto tranny; any available aftermarket?  Would a sidekick or tracker auto fit?  I'm looking for a 90's model Samurai...

Thanks!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Hi All,

I'm shopping for my first Samurai, and I'd really like an automatic transmission.  However, after months of searching nationwide, I've only found one with an auto, and it was full of rust.  How hard would it be to replace a 5 speed manual with an automatic?  Also, how hard is it to find an auto tranny; any available aftermarket?  Would a sidekick or tracker auto fit?  I'm looking for a 90's model Samurai...

Thanks!

Trail Tough has some parts that make it easier but it's a lot of work in my opinion. Maybe give them a call. I believe they would do the conversion for you if it sounds like too much for you to take on.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ti_co

Thanks for the quick reply.  I also found this thread after a bit of searching which also supports your view.  I should have searched more first.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/manual-to-automatic/

Thanks for the tip on Trail Tough; I think it would be worthwhile to give them a call...

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Hi All,

Thanks!

There were no North American samurais that came from the factory with an auto tranny.  If you found one with an auto, then more than likely it was a trackick auto that was swapped in.
A trackick auto can be swapped in.  But from what I have found, unless it has at least 4" of lift or so, the front driveshaft will hit the auto tranny pan, with the samurai just sitting at ride height.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline ti_co

Excellent information!  I am planning on doing about a 4" inch lift with about 29" tires, so that just might work out.  Most important though, I can stop wasting time looking for the stock auto.  Thanks!

Offline tombstone

Hold on there Compadre!! I put a 231 Buick V6 with a auto 200s tranny in mine,worst part about it was I had to fab motormounts and tranny mounts and move t-case back 6 inches so had to fab t-case mounts too!!BUT having a auto Samurai was cool as hell and I could haul some a** away from those stop lights!!My only issue was I should have used a auto tranny with OD 'cause my top speed with my new gears was about 57 mph.

Offline zorproducts

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
We do tons of auto swaps. Any particular info you are looking for like how to modify the tunnel, why the  tracker 3 speed is your best option etc, give me a PM or email me for info

MY