Hello Guest

making a longer bumpstop

• 6 Replies

Offline diftoyota

making a longer bumpstop
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:41 AM »
i need longer bump stop in the rear to stop my 33" tires to rub against the quarter panel,wonder what would be the easiest way to do it,and by looking at my junked vitara, would the front bump stop fit the rear? looks like they are longer than the ones in the back

Offline talonxracer

Re: making a longer bumpstop
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
IIRC the rear bumpstop is very similar to the 1st gen track/kicks, the bump stop is threaded and a spacer can be made that is added between the existing stop and it's mount thusly extending the existing bump stop lower.

Here is a pic of one
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline diftoyota

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
seen those, just want to try suthing with what i have laying around the garage, i love to build stuff, was thinking of welding a 2" block on the lower coil spring seat on the rear end? should do the same job

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
Just posted the picture to get the creative juices flowing..... ;)
it isnt worth it ordering from the UK and shipping across the pond!

Or add the 2" block(tube) onto the upper bumpstop mount, either way should work, I will be adding the extension to the upper portion to help retain my lift springs as my lift springs can almost pop off at full drop!

Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Just posted the picture to get the creative juices flowing..... ;)
it isnt worth it ordering from the UK and shipping across the pond!

Or add the 2" block(tube) onto the upper bumpstop mount, either way should work, I will be adding the extension to the upper portion to help retain my lift springs as my lift springs can almost pop off at full drop!

Yes, ideas & photos get the creative juices flowing!

Limiting straps will help keeping your springs in place, and save your shocks from topping out and extend their life.
We made extension tubes for Trouble Racing car bump stops, but extending the mounts wold do same thing.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
Energy Suspension has some conical poly bump stops with a hole down the center for a bolt to go through them and then mount them to the bumpstop mount.  I had planned on using something like that on my GV but never got further than just thinking about it.  No measurements or anything.

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
I have used Chevy s10 or astro van rear bump stops before and they worked slick.
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's