Hello Guest

Saving an 87 Samurai from the wrecker, budget daily driver plus build...

• 55 Replies

Offline crewcabrob

Re: Saving an 87 Samurai from the wrecker, budget daily driver plus build...
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 07:41:32 AM »
I have a great time reading about your project.  I'm still looking for a project right now; I hope it is a little less involeved than yours has been.  :)

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
Do a good job looking for rust, it likes to hide under carpets, and behind trim.  :(
Also, dont rush into it. I watched ebay and craigslist for a couple weeks before I settled for this one. Since then I have seen half a dozen better buys.
Whats a guy gotta do to earn some respect around here?

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
Rust and engine issues are high on my list.  I can do work on T-case, lift, gears, interior and getting it painted.  I just don't want something that is going to take a ton of time and effort just to make right again.

Thanks for the tips!

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
If you can do the gears you can rebuild/replace the engine if the price is right. I get stumped when it comes to setting up the gears in a differential.

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
I have rebuilt exactly 1 engine.  It was out of my first car a 1970 240z.  I can figure out the gears and have a busy of mine look it over before I close the case and difs up.

Rob

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
For the front brake lines I just used some from a Geo Tracker.  Worked great:

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
I like, i also like the diff vent. What is going on with the stering linkages? How is one above and one below the spring pack?

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »

Nice job.... Alot of it looks oh so familiar from not so long ago. It is coming along very nice!!!
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 06:25:37 AM »
After a tremendous amount of cutting and welding I have been able to modify the exhaust to exit the vehicle in the corner where it was intended. It has made a big difference in the amount of fumes I huff on my way to work.
Lesson learned, spend a little more time at the start of the project or you will spend alot more time at the end of it. A few degrees off at one end makes a big difference at the other end of an exhaust sytem.

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
I am stumped by the wiring harness modification for the 1.6L 8V swap. I cant afford to pay someone else to do it (I am down to my last couple of bucks), could someone tell me how? The engine I am putting in comes from a 1993 or 1994.

Also, it looks like I screwed up somewhere and have to pull the airbox back out to find out why I dont get any airflow.

The truck is running well, pulling 65 on the flats but with a rod knock and 10MPG.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
I like, i also like the diff vent. What is going on with the stering linkages? How is one above and one below the spring pack?

It is half of an Over The Top steering setup.  It reduces bump steer compared to a standard Z-Bar setup but is cheaper then a full high-steer.  You do tend to bend front tie rods though, but if it didn't hit that it would smack into the axle instead.  Of course, I have bent front springs hitting stumps at speed...
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline tombstone

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
Hey its all good,mine is far from perfect...its not running now!!OK it needs a elec fuel pump,then I gotta paint it too...really like your built bumper,great!

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »
Picked up the engine, harness and adapter saturday from Sean at aftermarket 4x4. Ordered timing belt, water pump, thermostat, gaskets, rear main seals, crank seal and cam seal today.

The trail tough adapter kit comes with a spacer to reuse the samurai engine mount on the driver side. No need to buy new mounts.

Sean, reminded me that I can use the Toyota carb until I get the harness ready for the FI, so thats what I'll do.

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »
I had the blower motor wired backwards, turns out squirrel cage fans only blow air in one direction. That sucker blows alot of air when wired correctly.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
Glad it was an easy fix.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing