Hello Guest

Saving an 87 Samurai from the wrecker, budget daily driver plus build...

• 55 Replies

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
Re: Saving an 87 Samurai from the wrecker, budget daily driver plus build...
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »
Me too!
I've decided to skip the carb conversion unless something stops me from putting on the FI. I dont feel like going through all the effort of getting the wrong Toyota carb to work, not that I couldnt  'cause I could!  :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:51:04 AM by GO_OUTSIDE! »
Whats a guy gotta do to earn some respect around here?

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
Why am I having such a hard time with this stupid engine swap?!!!!!! Everyone said it would be so easy. Maybe Im just worn out and am no longer seeing this as a fun challenge, It could be my mood but this is starting to feel like the never ending project from hell that will nickel and dime me right up until it gets totalled and the insurance company pays me 1/10th of what I have put into it. I have spent nearly all my free time for the past 5 weeks working on this and have driven it twice. I am now looking at yet another long weekend wrenching when I want to be exploring trails! I really feel like adding a redfaced emoticon here.

Luckily I bought my engine from Sean at aftermarket4X4 and he has been good about answering my questions when I cant get help from the internet.
Before anyone gets  their feelings hurt, I do appreciate all the help I have gotten here.

Now that Im done ranting, and yes I do feel better, Ill get back to working on figuring out how to replace all the exterior seals and gaskets, belts and hoses and water pump on the 8V. Hopefully I will have it in and running by Tuesday.
I wanted to have the engine in already but my home made engine hoist wont lift the engine high enough so I had to rent one.

Right now the engine is supported by one engine mount bolt a block of wood and the hoist. When I get the real hoist tonight Ill try to swap one for the other before the engine falls through the engine compartment and hits me in the foot.
Removing the gear box with the engine like that was not fun. I seem to be making some bad decisions as my time and money is running out. Im down to $300 cash and $500 credit before Im flat broke. And, I need to sell my Tacoma for at least $9,000
before I go to California in 2 weeks so I can pay off the credit cards and pay for the trip. I still have to spend some time getting the Taco ready for sale. This is getting tight. I should have gone straight for the engine swap instead of D$*kng around with the 1.3L. Oh well life is all a learning experience.

Anybody, have time to send me a copy of the "how to set the timing on the 1.6L 8V engine" section from thier FSM? I let the cam shaft rotate before I could mark it for reference while pulling off, rather, trying to pull off the cam pulley last night. Them skeeters are distracting. 

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
The engine is in!

This is what needed to be ground off the starter

Im hoping this doesnt mean I need new valve seals.

All the seals are replaced, all the gaskets are replaced, new water pump and new timing belt. Ready for another 100K!

Today is an especially slow day at work, Im hoping to hang up the tracker harness and start chopping.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
Getting closer!
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
My wife and I went to see Built to Spill last night and as a result I didnt make it to work today so I got to put in some quality time with the Samurai. Built to Spill were awesome by the way.

It wasnt as fast or as pretty as I would have liked but...The Fuel pump is in.

I have about 8 hours in the wiring harness right now.  It is partially installed, hopefully tomorrow I will turn the key and things will be better in my world.

I didnt have the luxury of labeling the harness when it came out of the donor so I had to research every wire in the harness using 3 different wiring diagrams because I wasnt sure which vehicle the harness or engine came from. I hope I didnt screw up.

I waited till 1pm to start working on the harness I should have begun earlier, I didnt get finished till 6:30, long after I clock out. It was a slow day at work. They can make me show up on Labor day but dont expect me to do much.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
An alternative to your fuel pump setup down the road is to get a tank from an EFI Samurai and use the fuel pump setup from a Geo Tracker 8 valve.

That rubber should keep the fuel pump isolated and nice and quiet.  When I put an electric pump in the SJ I just replaced the fuel filter and ran a secondary filter up front.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I had to turn off the radio in my shop to hear the fuel pump, thats how quiet it is! Trouble is, that fuel filter prevents the pump from priming, I had to dismount it and turn it upside down to get the gas to the pump.
Once that was done though... BOOM it fired up!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill be going for a test ride tonight!!!!

I would like to investigate the Tracker fuel tank swap to get an intank pump and a few more gallons. I have read a few too many posts about these inline pumps failing. Whats the fuel capacity of the FI Samurai tank, is it also 10 gallons?

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
She runs great and has more power WOO HOO!!! ... right until I move upward in the gears and put the engine under load, then she flat spots like trying to push a mule. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix  :laugh:

I didnt want to rip my rusted up old body to shreds trying to get the body mounts off to raise the front clip. So, I raised and clearanced the hood instead.

I kind of like it.

Today, I will get an air cleaner attached and someday turn it into a snorkel/cold air intake.

AND!!!!! My fender flares finally (5 weeks on back order) arrived!!!! So, those are definitely going on today.

Holy Sh1t, I just realized I never set the precise timing on the engine, hopefully that is the trouble with the power delivery!

...Why isnt there an emoticon of a guy running out of the house with a whirlwind of keyboard and mouse left behind?  Oh well, pretend you just saw one.

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I put on the air cleaner and advanced the timing. I am having trouble setting the timing, the strobe shows the timing jumping around and claims it is already advanced 8 degrees. I pushed it up another 10 degrees and am not getting any pre-detonation, is that OK?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Did you set the jumper wire so the timing won't advance automatically?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Oops.
I will in a few minutes, thanks for the reminder   ;D