Hello Guest

DIY: shortening a driveshaft

• 1 Replies

Offline zuki1018

DIY: shortening a driveshaft
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
I realize it may be "best" to have drive shaft work done by a pro.

With that being said, alternatively I have seen 2 suggestions online.  One is by cutting the u-joint "cap" off one end of a shaft itself, cutting the tube shorter, then re-welding the cap back on.  Another shows cutting a section out the actual tube then re-weld using some "C" channel as guides to align them back.

Both versions one would need to scribe alignment marks to keep both ends aligned.  Also seen a suggestion for adding ATF fluid inside the shaft tube... helps with balancing.

Anyone care to add comments, suggestions, pro/con, or experiences?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:47:22 AM by zuki1018 »

Offline mrhawk

• I Love ZUKS
Re: DIY: shortening a driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
I've done this many times. I have no special tools, a angle grinder and welder.

I run a shortened front shaft in the rear and in the front I replaced the tube with one from a 2door vitara/tracker/kick.

I have no vibes from my rear shaft even at 60mph and I have not had it balanced. Never had a problem with any of my driveshafts built like that.  Just double and triple check how straight you get the ends.

This front was done in 30min, I was rushing it the night before a competition so it didn't turn out 100%, I will make a new one later, but the front shaft is not used unless in low range so i'm not in a hurry.