Hello Guest

straight tail pipe or bent

• 5 Replies

straight tail pipe or bent
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
is it true that with a straight tail pipe (back) the fumes come back into cabin ,and with bent tail pipe  (side) there are no fumes . just wondering because fumes do come back with the  straight exhaust pipe on my 87 samurai

Offline SineCredulitas

Re: straight tail pipe or bent
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:53:29 AM »
Side has more chance to slip past. Even a downtip/bend in current one would lesson what I call "blowback".
88.5 TT, dd, 1.6 16v, 5sp, a/c, SPUA, 30" MTR's

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »
All one has to do is drive down a wet rainey road to see where the low/neg pressure zone is directly behind the vehicle that draws any fumes or in case of rain, water back into the vehicle.  Remove the rear window and the neg draw is greatly amplified.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »
My pipes are straight out the back, and with back window out I do get exhaust fumes inside.  Opening the top with back window same thing.  It is not noticeable with the top off.  My pipes are short, but have changed the shape of them dropping off ledges.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:02:45 AM »

I have a straight out the back with a down-bend tailpipe. I never notice any fumes no matter which top I have on (Hard, soft, or Bikini.
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline 144man

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
is it true that with a straight tail pipe (back) the fumes come back into cabin ,and with bent tail pipe  (side) there are no fumes . just wondering because fumes do come back with the  straight exhaust pipe on my 87 samurai

My 87 had a straight out the back pipe when I got it, and I did get fumes in the cabin.  I now have a very short side-out pipe, right in front of the left rear wheel.  No fumes, nice sound.