Hello Guest

I thought Neon seats were the best swap??

• 23 Replies

Offline vuzuki

I thought Neon seats were the best swap??
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
So I went to the junk yard and found a 2 door neon with Perfect seats and brought them home for 40 bucks. Don't know how many places I've read these have the same width tracks so even if they don't quite work it's not hard to get it to work.
They don't have the same width tracks at all.. suzuki is something like 15 1/2 vs the neons 17 1/2. Any thoughts as to what I did wrong would be appreciated.. a Lot

Offline zuksofhazzard

• them darn Zuk boys
    • MOAB PICS
Re: I thought Neon seats were the best swap??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
What vehicle are you trying to put them in?

I believe the comments were more for a Suzuki Samurai swap.

Samurai seat tracks are fairly flat. Just weld some flat strap to the base of the seat, then drill holes accordingly.

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
Putting the neons into my stock 88 samurai.

not sure what you mean nor can I weld :\ sorry..
Thinking about getting the neon sliders off and getting the samurai sliders onto the neon seat? as the neon sliders are no where near fitting..

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »

Just about any seat will fit but some folks like the Neon seats... Alot depends on width (being narrow) so that you don't crowd the center where the shifter / emergency brake / console is located. That being said narrow is good.

I put Corvette seats in mine which are a similar wifth as yours.

What Zuksofhazzard is refering to is taking some flat steal my 1/4" thick or so by about 2" wide and an inch or so longer that your seat rails and drilling and mounting these to the bottoms of your seat.

Once you get these in location place the old Samuri tracks on the flat steel and mark the drill holes for the tracks on the flat steel.

Drill out these locations and bolt the Samurai tracks to the flat steel.

Hope that makes sense to you... This is the method I used to mount my seats in place and it worked without any troubles.

Now you can bolt your new seats into your stock Samurai floor pan locations without any problems.

If you need additional help just ask...

Tux...  8)
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »
Lots of help.. was kind of freaking out this morning. I think I understand what you mean, I work full time though and I don't think anywhere is open to get flat steel before I drive back to work >.< trying to figure that part out too.
But for Starters, there are kind of big dials on the sides of the drivers seat to adjust the angle and lumbar. Not sure how to take those off?? tried some prying and trying to get the covers off. no luck :\
thank you guys for being so nice and all

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »
Can't help you much on the big dials since I didn't use Neon seats. I would assume they are held on with clips or an allen head srew, or screw on counterclockwise. Depending on your seat belt arrangement maybe the dials can go to the inside. (maybe not?) At any rate if noboody else answers or knows the boyz at the wrecking yard can tell ya fer sure...

As for the steel, check you local wrecking yard, welding shop, or any machine shop they should have what you need without issue.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:24:12 AM by tuxblacray »
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
I'll look for clips, tried unscrewing them and looking for a screw or tiny cover. no luck. and I just want them off so I can take it all apart and take the rails off. Towards figuring out mounting xD And yeah between the seatbelts and the tilt levers they'll end up on the outside.
hm well they are probly closed today and tomorrow.
And I know where to get the steel but as I work at a machine shop that's closed on the weekend and memorial day, I have a feeling I won't find many places that can help soon.
Too bad most of our scrap is pretty small.
Well I'm gonna try and get those dials off so I can start making any progress I can. Wish me luck, And thanks again for your help.

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »

Sorry you don't work in our shop... (I have a key)  ;)

I'm sure you will get them off.... Heck they could be like Cap-Plugs and grip the shaft once pressed on. (But I doubt it)

When at all else fails GOOGLE How to remove seat adjusters... I kind of looked quickly but didn't see what I thought might help.

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
Haha! I do know the owner pretty well but I'm pretty sure as much metal as I'd need would be worth like 400$ from our pile. better off in the yard.
I got the dials off (clips underneath, got em off with my thumbs. DUH), I guess I didn't realize it's the seat frame that is similar to the samurais not the tracks. I'm going to try and make this work and let you guys know how it goes!
Speaking of you guys, You are crazy nice! hope I can nail this.

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
Yeah the neon frame is 17" wide or so vs the 15 and like 3/16. Think if I put flat steel cross ways from the stock holes I could bolt the samurai tracks to that though....

Offline Godzuki84

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,39777.0.html

http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=297

Hopefully these links will help you out, they helped me out, more so the zuwharrie post since it has more pics... If you are talking ablout the plastic covers you need a TORX bit to unscrew them
The little zuki that could

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
yeah neither of those help for multiple reasons. One my seats don't have that triangle piece on the sliders. Two the frame the sliders bolt to are something like 17 1/2" wide vs the 15 3/16" samurai seat frame. So the samurai tracks won't fit without getting steel and bolting it to the neon frame and drilling holes where the samurai tracks go. And to do that I have to figure out how much higher the right side of the frame is to put spacers on it.
And three there is no cable connecting the slider mechanism in either of those tutorials.
mine are either 00 or 02 seats and I really don't see how this is a bolt on seat... cause I've heard of the same process with 2004. >.<

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
Not to be negative, just don't see this being easy at all..

Offline Godzuki84

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
yeah neither of those help for multiple reasons. One my seats don't have that triangle piece on the sliders. Two the frame the sliders bolt to are something like 17 1/2" wide vs the 15 3/16" samurai seat frame. So the samurai tracks won't fit without getting steel and bolting it to the neon frame and drilling holes where the samurai tracks go. And to do that I have to figure out how much higher the right side of the frame is to put spacers on it.
And three there is no cable connecting the slider mechanism in either of those tutorials.
mine are either 00 or 02 seats and I really don't see how this is a bolt on seat... cause I've heard of the same process with 2004. >.<

Can you post a picture of the seats you got? I cant remember what year I got my seats from but everything was pretty easy. Post pics of the seats and I can hopefully be able to help you out better
The little zuki that could

Offline vuzuki

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »

and the album is here https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115148890055038185894/albums/5747288924845990321

Let me know if you want another angle?