Hello Guest

this is what happens when you dont realize your U joint went bad

• 11 Replies

after reading a build about how the drive shaft needs to be "clocked" I fixed it and then realized that the u joint was bad and really messed up my yolk as well. after getting it out the bearings were literally turned to dust! :o

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: this is what happens when you dont realize your U joint went bad
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:58:11 AM »
that was pretty well toasted.
it must have felt loose if you tried to wiggle the drive shaft?
i keep looking at mine(original, i'm sure)and wonder.
no grease zerks. how long can they last?

can you elaborate on the "clocking" you refer to?
were you trying to figure gear ratios?
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
There are alignment dots on both pieces of the drive shaft. They need to line up when you put the shaft together for proper balancing. On a side note, that bad u joint must have had major vibration.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/build-diaries-how-to-diy/build-up-87-sami-1-6-16v-megasquirt/ ... I got everything linded up and got a new joint but its a tight fit my yolk really got messed up. I'm going wheelijg today hbopfully it holds up!

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Back when I didn't know better, I drove on a bad u joint for a long time. it wore half of one of the yokes away. I was able to replace the joint and it never did give me any more  problems until I sold the rig a few years later. The point of this is, I have changed a lot of u joints since then and regardless of how bad they were, the only ones that were "tight" we're when I accidentally let a needle bearing fall down without noticing it. I was able to get them in but the joint was tight and failed pretty soon. if the joint doesn't, move freely, you may have a fallen needle bearing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:06:29 PM by lv2fsh »

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
Back when I didn't know better, I drove on a bad u joint for a long time. it wore half of one of the yokes away. I was able to replace the joint and it never did give me any more  problems until I sold the rig a few years later. The point of this is, I have changed a lot of u joints since then and regardless of how bad they were, the only ones that were "tight" we're when I accidentally let a needle bearing fall down without noticing it. I was able to get them in but the joint was tight and failed pretty soon. if the joint doesn't, move freely, you may have a fallen needle bearing.
thats really good to know! I plan on going to my fn zuki store and get a new/used drive shaft and replace the u joint. But hey I learned a good lesson now!

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:06:36 AM »
"I'll drink to that one"

2 nights ago:  took out my exhaust and dented my muffler.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:04:10 PM »
"I'll drink to that one"

2 nights ago:  took out my exhaust and dented my muffler.

That demonstrates the need to run a driveline hoop or limiting strap on the driveline.  A broken U joint at medium speeds can ruin more than your muffler, and on dirt or gravel roads probably will. 
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:17:18 AM »
Yes good point added.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
UPDATE:

...also banged into the brake valve near passenger side frame.  Leaking fluid now.  I will be building a DS hoop.. thanks for the recommendation(s).

Where do you think its best to be mounted... center of the DS or favoring the front or rear some?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »
Wherever you mount it you have to make sure you won't run into clearance issues.  Otherwise it will hang up on rocks.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Wherever you mount it you have to make sure you won't run into clearance issues.  Otherwise it will hang up on rocks.

..only rocks we have here in Florida are lime rocks!!! ha.

I am thinking to favor the middle to slightly upper portion.  This will be higher and at the end of lesser vertical movement from potential axle wrap. I do have an axle brace that is just lower than the rear DS so that should help out while climbing sea shells and lime rock!

Good suggestion, thx.