Hello Guest

87 Samurai tail lights, front left turn signal... do not function

• 4 Replies

I just purchased my first Samurai, an '87, and it has a rebuilt engine that runs great.  The rest of the car is a work in progress.  My front left turn signal, tail lights, instrument cluster light, interior dome light don't work.  The blinker is going fast like it is just a bulb out, but that was replaced- along with all fuses in the fuse box.  Also the tach, fuel level, and temp gauges don't work.  The last owner was just using the vehicle off-roading, while I am using it as a DD.  The head lights, brake lights, and the other 3 turn signals do work.  I just read on this forum about the box behind the driver side tail light- I'm going to check that out tomorrow- any tips on what to look for in a faulty box?  Basically, I'm trying to address the blinker and tail lights first and then take on the other stuff.
I'm really looking forward to getting this rig going!
Any tips or advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 87 Samurai tail lights, front left turn signal... do not function
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
The most common issue with the signals and running lights is bad grounding.  I would go through and pull off all of the ground wires, sand them down and the mount, then put them back on.

For testing a faulty box I would take voltage and ground readings at the various points.  The Samurai is primarily a ground driven electrical system, so a lot of circuits ground out to complete rather then add 12v to complete.  Grab a wiring diagram from Acks Faq, grab a multi-meter and go to work.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »
What Drone sez!

See link in signature!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
Very good-  I'll check the grounds and let you know how it turns out.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
Yep bad grounds and loose connections all around.  Got her street legal, now I'm concentrating on the gauges to see if i can get those going too.
Appreciate the help.
Cheers!