Hello Guest

Transmission Swap questions

• 3 Replies

Offline das zuk

Transmission Swap questions
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
Has anybody swapped a kick transmission or an 88.5 and above transmission into an 88 or lower samurai? Am wondering if it is
1: Possible and
2: how how effective is it?
I'm looking for a more broad gear ratio since VW turbo diesel in my zuke is has a narrow rpm/useable power range.
Any thoughts or 2 cents will be gladly accepted.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: Transmission Swap questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
Yes, it is possible.  For a trackick tranny to fit, you are gonna likely have to cut and widen the tranny tunne (I did)l.  A trackick has pretty much the same gearing as a samurai tranny, so you'd really just be wasting you time swapping in a trackick tranny.
Early samurais had a .795 fifth gear ratio.  88.5 and up samurai trannys had a .865 fifth gear ratio.  So if you are looking to lower your RPMs at higher speeds, then keep the early tranny.  The same 5th gear ratios are in trackick trannys too.  So no gain to swap to a trackick trannys.
All samurai trannys are identical on the outside (as far as size and how they bolt up to the engine and crossmember).  So you can use any year samurai tranny in any year samurai.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline das zuk

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
Yes, it is possible.  For a trackick tranny to fit, you are gonna likely have to cut and widen the tranny tunne (I did)l.  A trackick has pretty much the same gearing as a samurai tranny, so you'd really just be wasting you time swapping in a trackick tranny.
Early samurais had a .795 fifth gear ratio.  88.5 and up samurai trannys had a .865 fifth gear ratio.  So if you are looking to lower your RPMs at higher speeds, then keep the early tranny.  The same 5th gear ratios are in trackick trannys too.  So no gain to swap to a trackick trannys.
All samurai trannys are identical on the outside (as far as size and how they bolt up to the engine and crossmember).  So you can use any year samurai tranny in any year samurai.
I don't think i could have asked for a better reply. Thumbs up and thanks. So if they are so similar, why did you put a trackick transmission in your zuk?

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:40:05 AM »
I don't think i could have asked for a better reply. Thumbs up and thanks. So if they are so similar, why did you put a trackick transmission in your zuk?

I put the trackick tranny and tcase in my off road samurai, so I could run dual transfer cases (trackick tcase and samurai tcase).  With the trackick tcase being married to the backside of the trackick tranny, it is easier (even though you have to cut the tranny tunnel) to swap the trackick tranny in, instead of trying to use a trackick tcase behind a samurai tranny.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.