Hello Guest

Hagen Mod

• 8 Replies

Hagen Mod
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
Hey,

I am just finishing up my Hagen mod and I have a suspicion that I made the "Stubby" shaft too long. I haven't cycled the suspension but assembling the strut with the CV seemed to be putting stress on strut / differential.

Any ideas if this binding will ruin the diff or strut ?

Damn.. may need a new stubby.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Hagen Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
Too long will cause something to break eventually, probably sooner than later. If it's just a bit too long, you could always shave a tiny bit off the end, that way you won't have to make a complete new one.
I understand how a too long shaft would put pressure on/in the diff but how is it affecting the strut?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Any bind will break stuff. Sounds like your CV's are bottoming out now and not allowing full suspension movement. Any play on the cv shaft end to end or is it tight as in bottoming out.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
What is the length of the stubby? 
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »
Are you running the Calmini arms? the Calmini arm moves the front wheel forward and in doing so moves the CV a further inch out. If you have the stock arms you may need a thinner stubby.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
Are you running the Calmini arms? the Calmini arm moves the front wheel forward and in doing so moves the CV a further inch out. If you have the stock arms you may need a thinner stubby.

This is the first I have heard about the Calmini arms moving the position of the wheel. I thought they were just "Fancy" looking stock arms w/ a modified spring perch.

I just widened with the stock arms. My stubby was about 1,25" long and causing the CV shaft to bind, I had to cut it down to 3/4" and it is working fine now. Thanks for the help everyone.   

Not sure, I would think that when the CV was bottoming out the pressure it exerted was half on the strut (connected to the knuckle as you know) and half on the diff. 

To be honest I was trying to avoid having to countersink the bolt holes in the stubby to clear the diff mount bolts. I will put up some pictures in my build thread shortly. 

Offline tipover

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Yea I got Calmini arms and stock arms on the floor and the calmini moves the ball joint out about .5 " and forward .5".  Basically the same thing as Hagens mod.
Wheeler-87 Samurai JX. 7" lift, 1.6 TBI, lockers hybrid rear, 33" Swampers, 6 to 1s in a billet housing.
RV Dingy-2003 2 door tracker
Tow-97 PSD F250 Crew SB Dana 60 conversion
87 samurai-spoa ZookEV electric conversion.
RV- 31' Monaco Mckenzie

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Yea I got Calmini arms and stock arms on the floor and the calmini moves the ball joint out about .5 " and forward .5".  Basically the same thing as Hagens mod.

The Hagen mods actually move the center point of the front axle forward almost 1.5"  Either that or I did mine really wrong! :laugh: It does move them out .5" though.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »

Mike Hagen was running the Calmini arms when he did the mod.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org