Hello Guest

Sidekick sas info needed

• 12 Replies

Offline SIDEKICK65

Sidekick sas info needed
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
I'm trying to round up part's to put a sami front axle under my sidekick.i wanna start getting part's rounded up that i need.my plan is running 33" tires.i was told to use tj coil's for the front to get it lifted.so any one no what how long of coils to get enough lift to fit 33" for the front & rear. really any info on what part's i need to find would be great.  

I am running a full calmini lift with a 2" body lift.so my plan is to clear 33" nicely ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:28:00 AM by SIDEKICK65 »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Sidekick sas info needed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »
It depends on where you mount the springs and if you slide the axle forward a bit.  I run 33" tires on the White Rabbit with only 2" of front lift, but we did have to trim the back of the fender flares.

How much flex are you going for, and do you plan on building a full 3-link front end?  There are a couple of people who have built leaf spring front ends for their SAS conversion due to the simplicity.  I also looked at the Calmini Suzuki SAS conversion while at Moab, it is a really nice piece of kit. 

What axles are you going to run?  Swapping front and rear or just the front?  What sort of gearing are you going to use?  33" tires are a pretty big jump and unless your running an automatic or that 1.5 converter from Trail Tough your likely to need to do something to run the bigger tires.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
I'm gonna use a samurai front end.I could buy the trail tough kit but i think in my mind i should be able to do it cheaper then the $2800 that the want.I'm not into flexing & ect.i just use it for hunting and having fun.i was told using a samurai front end ill have trouble with were i need to mount my coil's.so it sounds like leaf's mite be the way to go.i was just gonna read and see what people are using gearing with 33" tire's.if i'm thinking in a bad direction please steer my straight.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?  Do you also plan on swapping in a Samurai transfer case or keep your existing one?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
manual trany. just use my stock x case.I think since my front end is narrow to run coil's it mite be better to run leaf's??

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »
6:1, half dozen to one the other.  Just depends on how comfortable you are with fabbing.  The only issue with going to 33" tires with the manual transmission is one of gearing.  If your lucky you can find some 5.62 gears, but likely you will be running your stock 5.12's.  What size tires are you running currently?

There are a couple of SAS swaps in the build section, including those with Samurai axles.  I would go read through some of the builds and see what problems they ran into.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »
I'm running 30" tire's.i guess im just gonna use leaf spring's.i think im gonna use some 3" lift spring's from a sami because there only 42" long.unless any one else know's of any shorter spring's??

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
With a spoa setup I think stock springs would probably be fine, maybe with an add-a-leaf.  I would go with rear springs at least, they should still be short enough to not cause a problem with hitting rocks.  Are you looking at a shackle reversal setup?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
Ok i just got front and rear spring's from a YJ today for free.My plan was to use lifted samurai front spring's.But im asking if i should just use the YJ spring's instead of samurai spring's? i need some one to tell me what they would do.I'm going to use leaf spring's in the rear also so will the YJ spring's work good for the rear also??

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
How would i run cross over steering on my sidekick with a straight axle and get the steering to turn the same way? if i run my stock box wouldnt it turn the opposite direction??

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
Only if you move your axle in front of your steering box.  As long as it's behind it you should be fine.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
First question is y do u want to soa if its only a hunting rig. 33 r easy to fit with a body lift
Y would u go backwards to leafs in the rear
I dont think u would want to soa the front it would be masive high And realy unstable on a samauri diff
Spring under on yj with a slider box at the back would be ok but u will still have less ground clearence then stock
Lift has nothing to do with tire size
Bumpstop placement body lift and guard chop is the only way to make room for bigger tires

Offline SIDEKICK65

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »
I get some thing in my mind and  i gotta do it,the samurai is the same with as the sidekick was because i put wheel spacer's on the axle.there is no turning back now cuz i cut the ifs mount's out and im in the middle of putting the sami axle under it now.I have a 2" body lift in it now and i dont wanna cut up the fender's.