Hello Guest

SS 16V header

• 31 Replies

Offline talonxracer

SS 16V header
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
I decided on what route I was going to take engine wise with my Sidekick, header, offset camgear key and a torquer cam. I ordered the SS header from XtremeZuks and it came in today. I decided to go with this header over the Thourly or Calmini 16v headers for several reasons, First is that it is SS construction, second is the hidden EGR pipe, third and almost more important than any other is the fact it is a DIRECT BOLT-ON, it bolts right up to the stock cat. It has a very nicely polished finish and comes with the collector gasket to fit the stock flange, exhaust mani gasket and the hot air tube for those equipped with one.

I have taken a scuff pad to scuff the SS and take the polished appearance off and prep it for the ThermoTec wrap and spray coating/sealer.

Notice the EGR line is machined into the flange rather than a pipe

2 bolt flange to connect up to the stock cat using a stock ball and socket donut gasket and spring bolts
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: SS 16V header
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
You might want to check, Calmini recommends not using the wrap on their SS header.  XtremeZuk's might have a similar requirement.

I went with the Calmini myself, since it is a direct replacement and has the 02 sensor in the collector for all 4 pipes instead of only 2.  I do like the way the EGR vavle is built in though, on the Calmini install I had to modify the engine hoist point to fit around the tube.

Let us know how you like it.  My Tracker is now waiting on a transmission rebuild before I can give my new header a try.  Sounds nice though.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
Just placing wrap on the bare stainless can cause issues as you noted, even the ThermoTec wraps directions state to use their coating prior to using the wrap, this prevents the super heated salts from corroding the stainless. I have seen the end results of wrap over bare steel, it isnt "purty"! LOL

If the wrap doesnt provide the results I want I will remove the wrap, blast the header clean and send it to SwainTech for their WhiteLightning ceramic coating, that I know does work exceddenly well, though costly.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
Are you looking to keep the heat down in the engine compartment or a bit more power with the wrap?

One question, does your header use the lower brace that goes between the original manifold and the engine block?  I was kind of annoyed that it was left off the Calmini header, even if I doubt it's needed.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Looking for both, because when you accomplish one, you accomplish the other, LOL

I used one of those flex neck video cameras to get a look at the inside of the collectors and they are similar to the Thourly, defenitely not a top end header, LOL. Also one item of concern to me is the fit and finish of the pipes to the mounting flange on the gasket side, they need to be welded and smoothed out a bit, I will post pics up later to show what I am referring to.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
Looks great. I'll be in the market for a header in the near future, as my '95 16V's manifold is cracked (and essentially patched right now).

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
The notorious cylinder #3-#4 crack in the mani? same here! Mileage went from highs 20's-low 30's to under 10mpg.......That was the main reason for getting a header as the stock mani breathes rather well.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
Looks great. I'll be in the market for a header in the near future, as my '95 16V's manifold is cracked (and essentially patched right now).

- Andy

That is what lead to my upgrade, we welded it up but tweaked things a bit and the number one started leaking.  The number 4 was cracked about 3/4 of the way around and we had a second crack started on the number 2.

The fit and finish on the Calmini was great, no issues with the welds on it.  I did have to bend the bracket for holding up the air intake just a bit and there was more slack around the manifold bolts then I liked.  But the welds all look good.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but has anyone tried to repair these cracks? My '95 hasn't cracked yet but on my Cummins I used a method from this company http://www.locknstitch.com  It has held up for 60k

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »
Here is the lower timing belt gear and offset key,

Here is the header with the Thermotec coating applied

And here is the header wrapped and drying, I will be spraying it with the coating tomorrow.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
The wrap dried out overnight. I sprayed the Thermotec coating onto the header this morning. When the coating cures it really locks down the header wrap and is an integral part of the wrap procedure. 2 cans of the coating, one to the bare header and one after wrapped.
 Here is the header all ready to go

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
Which way round are you fitting the key?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
You advance the gear on the crankshaft(clockwise when facing the front of the engine). 

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »

- Andy

That is what lead to my upgrade, we welded it up but tweaked things a bit and the number one started leaking.  The number 4 was cracked about 3/4 of the way around and we had a second crack started on the number 2.

The fit and finish on the Calmini was great, no issues with the welds on it.  I did have to bend the bracket for holding up the air intake just a bit and there was more slack around the manifold bolts then I liked.  But the welds all look good.  :D

There's a lot of room around the bolt holes in a stainless steel header because of the expansion rate of stainless. If the mounting holes were bored exactly to fit,  most of the studs would shear off during the first heat cycle. I built my SS turbo header with the same type of EGR passage cut into the back of the flange. Works well.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline zav6a

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »
Is that the stock timing belt crank pulley?  Who sells the key?