SS 16V header

• 31 Replies

Offline talonxracer

Re: SS 16V header
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »
That is a stock crank pulley for a 96'+ 1.6L

I got the key from ZukiNation/Altered Ego Motorsports
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
There's a lot of room around the bolt holes in a stainless steel header because of the expansion rate of stainless. If the mounting holes were bored exactly to fit,  most of the studs would shear off during the first heat cycle. I built my SS turbo header with the same type of EGR passage cut into the back of the flange. Works well.

Huh, didn't even think of the expansion rate.  Gosh your full of useful information!  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ToyYoda

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
it's  very much like the DT header as the "Tri-Y" is there design as far as i remember. But is it smog legal ?

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:51 AM »
There's a lot of room around the bolt holes in a stainless steel header because of the expansion rate of stainless. If the mounting holes were bored exactly to fit,  most of the studs would shear off during the first heat cycle. I built my SS turbo header with the same type of EGR passage cut into the back of the flange. Works well.

Huh, didn't even think of the expansion rate.  Gosh your full of useful information!  :)
My wife says I'm full of " something " allright.  :laugh:
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:29 AM »
it's  very much like the DT header as the "Tri-Y" is there design as far as i remember. But is it smog legal ?

Significant differences as far as a header goes, DT uses a 90 degree bend at the bottom, this Xtreme header uses two 45 degree angles which produces far less restriction. And then you have the length of the primary tubes which are significantly different in length(even an inch of length creates a different rpm range header)

The "tri-Y" is not a DT created design, it has been around for far longer than DT has.

Being smog legal has absolutely nothing to do with actually pollution output, and everything to do with paying the graft to be tested and approved by Cali. For me here in NY it is perfectly legal, any portion of the exhaust can be changed after 8 years or 80K miles(whichever occurs first) and as long as it passes OBDII checks, passes a sniffer test and a Db check it is legal. I dont know how NY state could ever have something that makes common sense as they are almost as retsrictive as kommiefornia, LOL
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:52:53 AM by talonxracer »

Offline bentparts

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
TalonEx, is that header and timing key mod meant for more low end umph? Man, I'd like to find a way to get more bottom out of mine. Next step is supercharging  >:D

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
that is EXACTLY what the mods are intended to do. I am looking at lowering the power band and enhancing the low and midrange.  My Sidekick with 31's and 5.13 diffs is a tad whimpy and needs the power to come on sooner.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 03:33:04 AM »
Good ideas both. I think I'm going to pick up one of those offset keys for the engine I'm building now. With the forced induction helping the top end, maybe I can squeeze a bit more off the bottom too.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
Well I got the header installed finally, it went fairly easy without many hicups, LOL

Within a minute of starting the engine the header started smoking like a 2bit whore for half an hour! LOL

All the little tics and noises are GONE !!!!

That POS stock mani had three cracks in it!

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
I have taken several rides after installing the new header and resetting the ECU. All of the power is back that was lost to running so rich from the cracked mani. By the "butt dyno" there were some decent gains in the midrange. Hard to tell if the gains felt today were from the elimination of the cracked mani and resulting rich condition, or the header providing the gains, my bet is a little of both, but hard to prove without some dyno time. But I am happy with the gains/power so far, next will be the timing key(forgot to get a new cam seal) and then a torquer cam. 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Did you add an additional brace on the mount for your air intake?  I don't have that bar that comes down over the studs between the number 3 and 4.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
No need for any additional support as the support was included with this header. That bar is actually the bottom leg of a "T" and the top cross of the "T" has 2 welded nuts to bolt up the air intake support just like normal. Sorry, should have taken a picture but forgot to, but that picture sorta shows it.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
I really like the drivability now, I have taken a bunch of trips up and down the mtn like a kid with his first ride, LOL

It was running really fat, low teens in the fuel mileage and making a bunch of strange noises, now it is very quiet, running the proper A/F and thusly leaner and more powerfull, and hopefully better mileage, though driving like a maniac may affect that....

Offline dectar99

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
What size tubing is the header? & do you think a H/P cat/muffler & exh. system will give you more power & perhaps MPG.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:10 AM »
The primaries are 1.12 ID, secondaries are approx 1.5 and the collector was just a BCH over 2".

I already plan on snagging a new cat and muffler as what is on the Sidekick right now are stock spec NAPA replacements. I plan on a Magnaflow mettalic core spun cat, 2" mandrel bent tubing and a Dynamax VT muffler to maintain back pressure when needed and offer free flow at WOT.