Hello Guest

sidekick exhaust.

• 2 Replies

Offline mike5721947

sidekick exhaust.
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »
alright, truck is a daily driver that does WAY to hard of trails. (rockers are shot) the stock exhaust has been bashed off a couple times. work at a muffler shop so bent up a nicer 2" system for it from front pipe back with a nice little baffle bottle. fully welded front to back works nice in the bush, i can scrap it everywhere and i havent broken it yet.

only thing is the joint behind the cat has been removed, smashed it to bits a long time before i did the exhaust and it was welded solid. new exhaust has been done the same.

i dont know if its just my engine mounts are getting bad and the engine is shifting to much on shut down (truck shakes a bit on shut down) or without that joint its just enough to tweak the exhaust, but at the over axle pipe i am getting some cracks forming from the exhaust twisting.

i want to redo the joint on the exhaust but i dont want it in the stock location. would it work enough if i moved it farther up the exhaust into the front pipe? need to rebuild a front pipe cause its on its way out and cat was removed when the exhaust was redone. so the space is there to move it.
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: sidekick exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
It would probably work fine a bit further up, or you could just weld in a section of flex tube ( the stainless steel mesh kind.) I used this in my turbo exhaust downpipe and it allows for some flex and expansion too.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: sidekick exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
I would put on a couple of the exhaust flange mounts that are held together with the two spring loaded bolts.  I ran this on Project Trouble for the Zukiworld Challenge after breaking off the mounting bolts on the header the previous year.  My exhaust was being drug on the ground for a while after shearing off all the mounts, but the top half of the exhaust was fine.

They also make spring loaded exhaust hangers that might help allow your exhaust to move a bit more on impact.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing