Hello Guest

HELP ECU 90 SIDEKICK!!!!!

• 14 Replies

HELP ECU 90 SIDEKICK!!!!!
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:24:07 AM »
hey, new here I lost my job so i'm working on a project to keep me sane!lol  I want to change the three rubycon caps in my 1990 suzuki sidekick ecu but I can't find a crossover chart or anything. the kick is a 8v 1.6 1990 manuall any ideas I love my kick but it's starting to drive me insane!!!

Offline redidbull

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: HELP ECU 90 SIDEKICK!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »
There should be no cross reference necessary. You are going to replace the 50 volt caps with 100 volt. I am not sure which ones are in yours but the one on the edge of the board is a 100uF 100V. The others are 22uF, 10uF, and 47uF all 100 volts.  You will not use them all on years. There may be just 2 of the 47uF and the 100uF. Be aware that if the caps blew there may be board damage. Email me if you want more info. redidbull|removethispart|@hotmail.com. Jim

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
thanks so much I check out the board and I don't think there is any damage. The kick has not been out of service too long and I think I got the damaged cap out before it leaked too badly.one is 50v 47uf  one - 50v 100uf and a small one 50v 10uf any idea where i can order them? I sure appreciate you helping me out, means alot!!!

Offline redidbull

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
Try www.digikey.com If no luck or too much $$ let me know and I will send you one of each. Jim

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
man i appreciate this so much!! the fast response AND the offer I think I like this place!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
 :laugh: thans jim i placed an order with digikey after a chat session so i hope i got it right i'll holler back and give you an update either way hopefully again thanks so much !!!!!

Offline redidbull

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »
Cool. There are a couple checks I will have you make before you install it to make sure you have continuity. I have my sample at work so it will have to wait til Monday. Just make sure that the pads and traces are not broken or burnt. Jim

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
There should be no cross reference necessary. You are going to replace the 50 volt caps with 100 volt.

I wouldn't recommend replacing 50V caps with 100V, usually the leakage current will be higher and the ripple current rating lower. The ESR is quite critical on these ECUs because of the high recirculating currents around the injector driver.
You should replace all the electrolytics, from memory there are eleven of them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:23:04 PM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
Thank guys you all are the best.I just got a notice from digikey that my caps have been shipped hopefully get them SOON !!! ;)

Offline redidbull

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
There should be no cross reference necessary. You are going to replace the 50 volt caps with 100 volt.

I wouldn't recommend replacing 50V caps with 100V, usually the leakage current will be higher and the ripple current rating lower. The ESR is quite critical on these ECUs because of the high recirculating currents around the injector driver.
You should replace all the electrolytics, from memory there are eleven of them.

With all due respect you are incorrect. I have been fixing these things for years and have probably fixed 40 or more with no returns. The 3 or 4, electrolytics depending on which ECM , and replacing them and the damaged caused by the acid should make the rig purr. Jim

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
Not to highjack this thread, but would either of you gentlemen have a pic of what a " leaking cap " on the board would look like? I just pulled the cover off my spare ECU and although I didn't see anything leaking even under a magnifying glass, I want to be sure. The board itself has some kind of almost greasy thin coating around most of the components. I'm just guessing but I imagine this was from the flux when it was all soldered together. Am I wrong?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline redidbull

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
Not to highjack this thread, but would either of you gentlemen have a pic of what a " leaking cap " on the board would look like? I just pulled the cover off my spare ECU and although I didn't see anything leaking even under a magnifying glass, I want to be sure. The board itself has some kind of almost greasy thin coating around most of the components. I'm just guessing but I imagine this was from the flux when it was all soldered together. Am I wrong?

I left an answer on you other thread. If you want and have the time give it to John (ecoast) and he can give it to me at the ZU and I will check it out and send it back to you and just pay shipping or I can fix it if it needs it. Or if you want to just send it to me. PM me over at ZU. Jim

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
hey guys I got my caps in the mail from digikey and 1 of them is much smaller than the 1 on my board the voltage is the same and the other number is the same should I go ahead and try to put it in? the cap that they sent me is as small as the smallest cap in the three so i have 1 large 1 and 2 small ones. appreciate the help I am getting excited but want to remain cautious. thanks again!!!!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:43 PM »
hey guys I got my caps in the mail from digikey and 1 of them is much smaller than the 1 on my board the voltage is the same and the other number is the same should I go ahead and try to put it in? the cap that they sent me is as small as the smallest cap in the three so i have 1 large 1 and 2 small ones. appreciate the help I am getting excited but want to remain cautious. thanks again!!!!

Not all caps with the same rating are the same size.
As long as the voltage rating is the same and the micro farad (uf) rating is the same, it is fine.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline fordguy79

• long beach Wa,
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 12:53:17 AM »
heres a pic of a leak
87sami 32" bfg mt 6.5:1 w/reverse S shifter  1.6 16v sold and missed