Hello Guest

Drive train project help

• 6 Replies

Offline LowRange

Drive train project help
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
Hello All ,
I am new to the site and from what I can gather this is the place to be. I have a 1995 sidekick .It has been a rough winter going threw 3 front diff cases and 2 sets of front gears. I would like to swap out the front end to a solid housing. I am not sure about suspension yet . I am looking for some direction or options for this project. ex. what type of solid running gear can work with the sidekick to get away from the 3rd member and cv's. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
LowRange
p.s. Is there another place i should be posting this request?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:04:44 AM by LowRange »

Offline zukmonster

• GO DAWGS!!!
Re: Drive train project help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
theres been SAS in track/kicks before. everything from toyotas front and rear to waggy axles to danas to just a samurai front axle with the stock rear and others. TT sells a SAS kit for the tracker i think?? also ive read about them having coils, coilovers, and even jeep YJ springs front and rear and 3 and 4 links and such. i dont have a tracker, and never wheeled one, but i plan on getting my wife one. i also plan to SAS it to fit some larger tires. from what "little" research ive done, i think a set of yota axles and jeep YJs will be the way i go when i do it. only reason.... i got the springs and can get the yotas on the cheap from a friend. would be a trail only rig for her, so not too worried about how smooth the ride is at 80 MPH.

hope this helps.... later man, and good luck!!

Offline kreator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »
why dont you put a steel front housing in and get rid of the aluminum one
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline zukmonster

• GO DAWGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »

kreator has a good point about the steel vs. aluminum. but what fun would that be? :P

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

kreator has a good point about the steel vs. aluminum. but what fun would that be? :P

You could build a steel front housing, and get rid of the aluminum one.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline LowRange

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:58 AM »
I would like to get rid of the 3rd and cv's once and for all . I am interested in toyota front and rear and just starting to look ,any tips on toy solid housings ,axels and gears?

Offline RJkick

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

How would you do this? 
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps