Hello Guest

Finish this list for me!

• 16 Replies

Offline 87Suzi

• Love this little thing!
Finish this list for me!
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
Ok so here's how my 87 Samurai started when I got it

After: Used Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, New 225/70/R16 BFG A/T KO tires, and a 1.5" shackle lift this is what I have

I can't think of anything I absolutely NEED at this point but I'm pretty addicted to getting it just right, I want to do some light trail riding and it's my DD so it has to function on and off road. I have done all of the listed "mods" with less than $800 and I figure I can at least put $500 more into it justifiably. I'm thinking a full exhaust(2") and the corolla carb swap... anything to add? I'm adding the costs up and I should be left with about $200 left after those two items.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:05:52 PM by 87Suzi »

Offline Boxcar

Re: Finish this list for me!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
Pace setter header.....Leaves $50 for gas...Boxcar....
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline 87Suzi

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
I have my eyes on that, it's included in my plans for "full exhaust" I figure if i make her breathe a little better then the better she'll do on road.

Offline Dieselroe

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
I would say stick to stock carb man, I've looked at all options, just get yours rebuilt and try to keep everything running in stock condition. These trucks have been running for 20 years, if you restore to stock like conditions your looking at another 20 years. The 2 inch should be good but the motor runs good with just opening up the breather a little by rerouting the pipe to the front of the grill instead of under the battery and add a K and N. A rebuilt carb can run about 450, k and n 30, then work on the exhaust, you can weld in any 2 inch.
1987 Sammy Hard Top, 6.5:1, snatch tcase mount, 235 Hankook MT's, front Lockrights, Super winch 8Klb.

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
if it's a dd, change the seats; HUGE improvement in comfort

add p/s if you don't have it. same as above.

Send me the change $$$...
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline flanny

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:56 AM »
spool in the rear makes a night and day difference.... hey ecoast what seats would you recommend for mud riding thats not a daily driver? im in need of some seats that can handle the mud and water but not much worse on my ass that oem seats
91 SAMMY
8" LIFT
33X12.50
4.53 GEARS
FORD 5.0 HO MOTOR WITH TRANNY

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:08:53 AM »
Do not put a spool into a rig that is going to mainly see DD use on pavement. I would look into upgrades like a GM/Delco 12Si alternator upgrade, 4dr sidekick rotors and calipers up front, some lighting upgrades, and/or a comfy drivers seat(should be #1 on the list for upgrading).
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
spool in the rear makes a night and day difference.... hey ecoast what seats would you recommend for mud riding thats not a daily driver? im in need of some seats that can handle the mud and water but not much worse on my ass that oem seats

commonly done:

doge neon
honda prelude
chevy cavalier (I can vouch)

...almost anything you change to will be better than the OE

don't bother w/ carb/exhaust; save your $$ and do the 1.6 swap if you're keeping it and you want more power.

If you have $$ left after seats & p/s, put a locker in the rear and go most anywhere you have clearance. It will click slightly when you turn, and you will find it easier on the pavement if you coast thru your turns; no throttle = no engagement.

What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline 87Suzi

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
I have a 96 Chevy Cavalier Z24(blown motor :() and those seats are very comfy. I may do that...

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
For a mud rig just some plastic seats from Summit might be the key.  They wash out a lost easier then cloth seats.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »
I'd recommend the Carb swap. With the new exhaust, it will wake up that little 1300.
 The stockHitachii is a huge pile of cr-------------p. .....Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
Do the exhaust! Is there a Harley carb conversion too? Isn't anything better than the stock carb?
What seats for the tracker/kick?

Good luck on your build, looks good!

Kj
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
There are at least two store bought Harley carb conversions that work well and a couple of swaps people have done on their own.  The stock carb isn't bad, but it is VERY reliant on the vacuum system being in good shape.  Sometimes just replacing all the hoses is enough to get it to work correctly, other times it needs a rebuild on top of that.  But the HD Sidedraft conversion will give you a carb that runs better at angles and, from what I hear, has more power but a bit worse mileage.

Tracker seats are a bit more of a pain to swap out due to the off-set mounts.  Conversions have been done though, BRD HNTR has a nice set in his build.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline 87Suzi

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Well guys Im in the middle of a complete rebuild, I've ordered the rebuild kit from Lowrange and a few other things from roadless gear. So that said, the exhaust is on hold for now, but I do need a Carb, I'm pretty sure mine took a dump on me and I don't want to try rebuilding it if it's such a bad Carb, however I don't have much money to put into a Carb at the moment so I need suggestions and anybody with a good running spare they will give away at a good cheap price PEASE let me know, my parts should be getting here around Tuesday of next week and then the head is off to the machine shop and I'll be doing the rest in my driveway. Remember I'm only 18 and a half! Haha im saving money to get myself moved for school in a few months. Thanks for all the input guys.--- Zack

Offline 87Suzi

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Synthetic oil? Yes or no?