Hello Guest

Cheap body lift

• 24 Replies

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: Cheap body lift
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
I have seen a guy with a kick bump something with the front bumper and the fire wall bumped the distributor and broke the cap in two. so carry a spare. the welding to the frame is a good idea.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »

Got it... I have built my own for several trucks and installed them. (I work in a engineering / machining shop.) There is alot to them.

For daily driver and very light wheeling I haven't alot of problem with them.

I have / will always recommend a suspension lift vs. a body lift for the safety and durability.

If your going to build it then please do your homework and don't scrimp on anything. Lastly pay very close attention to the steering column.

In the lift you are sugesting the column will need to be moved down or a spacer / lift joint added to it. Otherwise there will be to much stress on it and there will be failure at its weakest point. (steering box, steering box mounts, rag joint, compression  joint, etc....
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline Flatlander

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »
ok here goes.  i drive a daily driver 93 tracker myself.  I made a homemade 3" body lift out of 3 " square tubes, utilizing stock metric body bolts on top and standard 1/2" bolts on the bottom.  The only thing i had to do is extend the transfer case shifter and enlarge hole in body for shifter and transfer case shifter as well.I had NO problem with brake lines or wiring ir steering colum, radiator or anything.i am also running a 3" suspension lift from AE, and running 33" tires.  I was running 35" tires but had to massage the wheel wells a bit for those , so went down to 33"tires.  Hope this helps

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
ok here goes.  i drive a daily driver 93 tracker myself.  I made a homemade 3" body lift out of 3 " square tubes, utilizing stock metric body bolts on top and standard 1/2" bolts on the bottom.  The only thing i had to do is extend the transfer case shifter and enlarge hole in body for shifter and transfer case shifter as well.I had NO problem with brake lines or wiring ir steering colum, radiator or anything.i am also running a 3" suspension lift from AE, and running 33" tires.  I was running 35" tires but had to massage the wheel wells a bit for those , so went down to 33"tires.  Hope this helps

I'm telling you that your driving a TIME BOMB.... Stop and think for a minute... you raised the body 3" away from the frame. You didn't change the column so it is under DEFINATE STRESS! It didn't magically stretch. I'm not beating up on you but your providing TERRIBLE and UNSAFE advice to others concerning the steering column.

Here is an example of Calamini's 3" body lift kit:

Calmini 3" Body Lift Kit
We're normally not big proponents of body lifts, But on this vehicle it's mandatory for achieving  the most lift as possible. Getting the body rocker panels below the door up away from  the ground is important for saving the body as well as tire  clearance. Our 3" body lift includes custom front bumper brackets, blocks, and mounting hardware. It can be used in combination with our 2" or 3" suspension systems for maximum tire clearance when using up to 32" tall tires. This a complete kit and includes detailed installation instructions. Kit does include transfer case shift lever extension. Minor welding required for shift lever extension and on some models, the steering shaft will also need to be modified.

The Link: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/suzuki-sidekick-lift-kits/calmini/3inch-lift-kits.htm

Sorry.... but I have to Agree to Disagree....  ;)
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline DonD

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
Generaly . Body lifts over 1" are BAD NEWS...Can't help you....Boxcar...
Why I don't like body lifts  :P
????!!
Central AZ
'90 Tracker
8k Smitty Winch
Man. hubs
Skids
Nerfs and sliders
Lockrite rear
OME susp
4.24 TC
ZOR Ft Bumper

Offline Flatlander

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

I'm telling you that your driving a TIME BOMB.... Stop and think for a minute... you raised the body 3" away from the frame. You didn't change the column so it is under DEFINATE STRESS! It didn't magically stretch. I'm not beating up on you but your providing TERRIBLE and UNSAFE advice to others concerning the steering column.

Here is an example of Calamini's 3" body lift kit:

Calmini 3" Body Lift Kit
We're normally not big proponents of body lifts, But on this vehicle it's mandatory for achieving  the most lift as possible. Getting the body rocker panels below the door up away from  the ground is important for saving the body as well as tire  clearance. Our 3" body lift includes custom front bumper brackets, blocks, and mounting hardware. It can be used in combination with our 2" or 3" suspension systems for maximum tire clearance when using up to 32" tall tires. This a complete kit and includes detailed installation instructions. Kit does include transfer case shift lever extension. Minor welding required for shift lever extension and on some models, the steering shaft will also need to be modified.

The Link: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/suzuki-sidekick-lift-kits/calmini/3inch-lift-kits.htm

Sorry.... but I have to Agree to Disagree....  ;)
Well I have to agree to disagree with you too.

Offline CodyB

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
Ive been thinkin about this alot and i think i am just going to leave my body alone.  I have a decent 2-3 inch of suspension lift right now so i think that will be fine for 31's

Offline tuxblacray

• Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 03:18:18 AM »
Cody,

Mind you I am NOT saying that all body lifts are  bad. I am saying that there are things that you encounter that need to be addressed properly in order to make them safe as well as so they don't puncture your underbody.

With a 3" lift comes more of those items because your stretching the body away from the manufacturers maxium allowable tolerence levels. IE: the steering column.

SKY MANUFACTURING makes a nice 2" kit that comes complete.
http://www.zukiworld.com/month_120104/feature_sky_bodylift_install.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:29:36 AM by tuxblacray »

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
Sounds to me like Cody has seen the light.....
 Good for you Cody...
 What looks cheap and easy , usualy ends up expensive and complex.......There are NO short cuts in this game......
Not sure if the video has any impact on the body lift debate ( Not much Zuke left in that rig) but it was a good lesson on HUGE tires mixed with a little dumb ass......I laughed for an hour......Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline kreator

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
Like we all have an idea on what is safe and what is not . Small body lifts work but still cause havoc on things 1" works well if you just need a little more tire clearance and don't want to cut your body up . If you put a body lift on make it your self and out of steel and put small welds on them so they don't move around, its better to be safe than sorry. Research your best way to get enough tire clearance and go with it
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377