Hello Guest

brake retro fit

• 8 Replies

Offline rockybaroofy

• doing what i can , with what i've got !
brake retro fit
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
does any one know if any of the later model zuki's have vented disks that will retro fit onto a 89-98 style zuki ? was wondering about maybe a G.VF or a XL7  redrilling the pattern doesn't bother me !  a little extra whoa every now and then is a good thing !
'93 tracker pick-up daily driver
91 tracker 3"+3" 31's

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: brake retro fit
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
 4 door discs are vented, they and the calipers are a bolt on swap. Much better stopping. You never mentioned what your driving.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline rockybaroofy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
sorry 'bout that bentparts , i have two 93's and a 91 tracker , love them , the 91 has the 3 + 3 calmini lift with 31" s.s. radials , not having alot of problems with stopping , but a little extra wouldn't hurt and i like upgrading all i can to help my zuk be it's best .I'm pretty good with a wrench and welding/fabricating is my line (mostly big equipment) you got any suggestions on upgrades ? I'm grateful for any ideas and i actually listen !
91 tracker 3"+3" 31's

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
I run the 4-dr rotors and calipers and also the rear drums as well, much better stopping.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SloMo228

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
Another vote for 4-door brakes.  They're a bolt-on swap and the braking is improved noticeably.  Even comparing the heavier 4-door to a stock 2-door, the 4-door has better braking.  So the 4-door brakes on a 2-door will be even better.

Offline rockybaroofy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
awesome , will i need the mounting braket from the four door also  or will they bolt to the two door stock brakets ?
91 tracker 3"+3" 31's

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
Well, depends on what you mean by the mounting bracket. They bolt to the knuckle, so if you get some from a upullit just grab the whole caliper with the slider, and I'd just spring for new rotors. They're relatively cheap and you'll know their good from the get go. Another good brake mod is installing Sammy front discs and calipers on the back to replace the drums. With an auto like mine this works great because I really don't need a parking brake ( this swap doesn't have a provision for a parking brake.)
Make sure to check out any used brake parts like calipers real well before you actually pay for them. A seized caliper isn't worth the scrap metal value. 
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline rockybaroofy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
i was just going to buy new calipers also , the price of junk around here has dwindled the zuki parts badly ! is the slider bracket the same as two door or will i need the bracket also ?
91 tracker 3"+3" 31's

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
I bought a set of loaded calipers from NAPA and they included all hardware and the brackets. Direct bolt-on and in fact the 4dr calipers are a trimmer casting than the 2dr calipers(needed for AE 4.5" lift)

Hands down, worlds better than those stock solid rotors, like going from a Fred Flinstone based system to a modern brake....
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....