Hello Guest

vin # and body swap

• 4 Replies

vin # and body swap
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
Hello,

So I about a year and a half ago I bought an 87 Samurai Tintop that has been rolled. It has some suspension upgrades, high steer, breeze shackles etc. I got a free samurai tub (basically rolling chassis) of a 86 Samurai Soft top. I've seen around that there is a vin number on the frame where you would have to take the body off to see. How will this affect me insuring the vehicle (will be on day/week permits for half of the year, insured during winter). It came w/ the dash and vin #'s on it, regi and all papers (both vehicles). If anyone has info on what happened during their body swap then please shed some light! Finally building this beast  >:D

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: vin # and body swap
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
I have never seen one on top of the frame but I guess it could be possible.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:20:55 AM »
In the owners manual, on a 87 Sammy, the VIN is in 2 places;
1) is the tag on the driver's side of the dash panel visible with the door open.
2) is stamped into the frame, visible on the vertical face, just ahead off the front axle on the passenger's side.

Some States have a Salvaged Vehicle Title.
Wisconsin also has a Hobbyist Plate for like "Kit Cars" for these situations.
Check with your insurance agent on the Salvaged Title.

CAPT

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »
Most states are only concerned about the piece that holds the registration(dash) only and that it matches the title.

The frame is regarded as any other replaceable part in most states.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
ops, forgot to mention this is in bc, canada. The 87 is salvaged, while the 86 is the newly acquired clean title vehicle/body. Something that I found different was that on the 87, there is one with just the vin number stamped onto the dash and the other piece of vin number is the larger tag that has the gross weight etc stamped on the lower area of driver floor pan. While the 86 has both pieces on the dash. Well either way, guess I'll start with the project!