Hello Guest

Best Family option (Sammy or Sidekick)

• 11 Replies

Best Family option (Sammy or Sidekick)
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »
I am currently driving a 96 Tacoma regular cab.  I have a 3 month old daughter and last night my wife and I got into the conversation of not trying to "avoid" having another child within the next year (we're not getting any younger). 

I have always wanted a tin top sammy with a VW TDI swap and now that I have an R32 to drive in the spring/summer/fall I would have enough time to perform the swap and also the funds to do it the right way out of the gate.

I live in MI so it would not see any hardcore wheeling but I would like to handle most anything that comes along yet still be a good DD and be able to load two kids and my wife in the ride if need be (although we almost always drive her X5 Diesel anywhere we go).  I would most likely put a mild lift on; fab up some new bumpers; new wheels/tires and during the swap address any maintenance items.

Now my question (finally I know....) would a tin top sammy fit the bill or should I go with a sidekick?  I like the SA on the sammy and could always build a small trailer for load hauling.  Or should I go with the sidekick because the 4 door would make my life easier with the kids eventhough I don't haul them much except for the 5mile drive to and from daycare.

Anyone facing this situation feel free chime in!

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
Re: Best Family option (Sammy or Sidekick)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »
Go for the 4 door Sidekick/Geo Tracker.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:30:01 AM »
4 door Sidekick/Tracker for sure.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
More room, better ride, more power, same mileage... It's hard to steer you away from a 4-door.  But Sammy's do make for neat toys.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline The Goat

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
you forgot cheaper drone... closest samurai I found in price was 1500 more than mine.

Samurai was what I originally wanted.  Getting something 10 years newer with a bigger seat mattered more.
1995 Four Door Kick...auto, OME, 33s, 200k. Other stuff.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
More room, better ride, more power, same mileage... It's hard to steer you away from a 4-door.  But Sammy's do make for neat toys.  :)

Power doesn't matter as I will definitely do a TDI swap with Acme stuff.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
Try to strap the kid(s) in the backseat of a 2 door vehicle a few times and you will be wishing you had a 4 door.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline brenzuk

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
I have owned one samurai, two 2 door trackicks, and one 4 door trackick. My vehicle must to function as a daily driver and sometimes haul the wife and two kids.  Ive been drivin the 4 door over four years now and love it.  I would really like to have a sami or convertible trackick again but they just dont fit my lifestyle. IMHO if you will need to haul more than the occasional buddy in the passenger seat you will be happier with the 4 door.  Where I live clean 4 doors are also way cheaper than not so clean samurais and clean samurais are outrageously high.

Offline kreator

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
4 door would be the best bet with a young family , if you kids where older it would be a different story .
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
yep. everyone else has said what i was going to say. i was looking for a sami before i got my 2dr kick.

once a kid rolls around (probably next year) im probably going to have to start looking for a 4dr. although the wife doesnt like the 4dr's cause she loves it when the roof is off. so i might be able to keep it as my toy... just strap the kid in the back and watch for the toys flying out the back...
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
Get a 4dr sidekick and do a coil SAS while you are messing up front putting the TDi in.

And this will just be the beginning of endless upgrades untill you end up with a custom buggie with a Suzuki "S" emblem....LOL Welcome to your new addiction !!!
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
Just get a GV with the 2.5 V6 and you will not have to do the engine swap. ;)  If you get the manual trans version, you can swap in a 4.625 or 5.12 gear set to compensate for larger tires down the line.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!