Hello Guest

90 Tracker with Budget lift

• 43 Replies

Offline Scotsmn

90 Tracker with Budget lift
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
Well to get the story started, I bought this 1990 Tracker for $1000. It had no rust, 143000 miles, ran great, and even came with  a spare 8v 1.6 engine.

So after driving it with the little 215/75/15s on it I desided it was time to get a bit height to her. So I started pricing lifts and though the lifts are not all that expensive, I found a link posted by whitfield about using ford explorer springs to get lift. This really intrigued me so I desided why not. So off to the U-pick-it junk yard and found a set of explorer front springs and some rear heep Grand Cherokee springs for $40 total. I then went and ordered a couple of strut spacers, rear upper control arm spacer, and a couple of camber bolts. Also picked up a pair of 91 crown vic shocks for the rear.

So today I started the work. I started out taking initial measurements to see what lift I would actually come up with. Stock was 31 1/2" from ground to bottom of the center fender front and 32 1/2" center fender rear.

After getting the tracker up on stands and all the wheels off I took the front end apart.

Spring difference, Top is original and bottom is the explore springs.

Added Strut Spacers

then cut the pig tails off the explorer springs

Spring installed

With the front done I took the rear apart and added the spacer

then added the heep springs and the crown vic shocks

So all done I ended up with 2 1/2" raise in the front and 2" in the rear. Took me about 4 hours total and just basic tools. Drove it a couple of miles on city streets and could hear the springs settling in for the first mile then it quieted up and drove just like stock. Now to add the 15x8 wheels and probably some 30x9.50R15s. Will get more pics up in a few days when get the wheels and tires on.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:26:52 PM by Scotsmn »
Sold - 1990 Geo Tracker 2dr soft top - 3" homemade spring lift
New - 1992 Sidekick 4dr 16v manual - working on lift and motor

Offline beagle..t

Re: 90 Tracker with Budget lift
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
well would like to see pics of front cv axle angles cause i think the angle my be too much i  know some guys have done stuff like this and they get eating front axles .....but so far looks good
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
Looks good, 2.5" is about the most  you can go with the front end before looking into a diff drop kit.  If you are destroying CV shafts when climbing things a limiting strap might be a good option.

Do you know what the stock weight is of the Explorer springs?  I'm wondering how they compare to the stock front springs and the GV springs.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Scotsmn

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »
Ok well went with 31x10.5R15s on 15x8 wheels. Overall I am super impressed. The Ride is actually smoother than stock on the road and with the wider stance it feels a lot more stable.

beagel..t, I have a friend that has spring spacers and the angle seems more extreme on his Sidekick than what I have with this lift.  I am going to watch it hard for a while and see how the joints hold up, but I at full drop it will be still less than if I used spacers.

Drone637, Per a post by Whitfield listed below, the stock 4 door Sidekick front spring is 508 ppi, the explorer springs are 500 ppi. I would assume that the GV springs would be about the same but I don't have the exact specs.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/ford-lift-kick-aasaa(cheap-ford-lift-coils-with-pics)/

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »
Drone637, Per a post by Whitfield listed below, the stock 4 door Sidekick front spring is 508 ppi, the explorer springs are 500 ppi. I would assume that the GV springs would be about the same but I don't have the exact specs.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/ford-lift-kick-aasaa(cheap-ford-lift-coils-with-pics)/

Nice, I'll have to look at picking some up.  The GV springs run at 540 lbs and I find them a bit to stiff for my liking and want to go a little softer.  Those sound just about perfect.  Now to hit some pull aparts.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Scotsmn

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
Well did some hiway driving today and with the 31s and stock gears 68 to 70 was about all that she could do, but the suspension felt great at that speed and just a bit smoother than it was at stock so over all I am complete satisfied with this lifting option, and for a total $ amount of less than $200 I am extremely happy.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:51 PM »
Do the front tires rub the back of the wheel opening when you turn? Looks good! Are those tires the new fallen a/t's?

Kevin
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline Scotsmn

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
Do the front tires rub the back of the wheel opening when you turn? Looks good! Are those tires the new fallen a/t's?

Kevin, The tires did rub a little till I took the plastic out of the inner fender and bent the inner ridge down. Now they clear completely even when completely stuffed.

Yes they are the new Falken A/T's. I did a bit of reading on them and they actually got some great reviews. I have had them on the road and they are really quiet and so far in Mud they are awesome. I am pretty impressed with them so far.

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
I LOVE the strut spacers you used!!! They look like a real quality product!  :laugh:. Actually I like the look of your ride. It looks perfect now.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline KJMac

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »

Kevin, The tires did rub a little till I took the plastic out of the inner fender and bent the inner ridge down. Now they clear completely even when completely stuffed.

Yes they are the new Falken A/T's. I did a bit of reading on them and they actually got some great reviews. I have had them on the road and they are really quiet and so far in Mud they are awesome. I am pretty impressed with them so far.
What is the wheel opening measurement now, with the lift and 31's? Looks awesome!
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »
so the rear springs are jeep springs? anything need to be modded to fit them? also can i get measurments from fender opening to center of rear wheel so i can guage the difference with my kick with 235's.
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline Scotsmn

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »
What is the wheel opening measurement now, with the lift and 31's? Looks awesome!

The outside opening is the exact same as stock. The only change I made was taking that inner plastic peice out and then hammering down the ridge it is attached to giving me a little over another inch of clearance. Also I removed the front bottom piece from the front bumper.

so the rear springs are jeep springs? anything need to be modded to fit them? also can i get measurments from fender opening to center of rear wheel so i can guage the difference with my kick with 235's.

On the Jeep springs, the only thing that I did is cut of the little bit of pig tail on the top to allow it over the bump stop.

From center of rear hub to the center of the top of the wheel welll is 21". From the center of the rear hub to the front of the wheel well at the molding is 16.5".

Since my last post I have put several hundered miles on this lift and it has not given me a single issue. I took it for a bit of off roading and had it complete stuffed both in the front and rear on all four corners and didn't have a single issue. So far I couldn't be happier, other than now wanting just a touch more power.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
Hi, your lift looks great. I just picked up a 90 tracker. looks like I will be hitting the junkyard, what year was the explorer the springs are from? thanks or all your info.

Offline Scotsmn

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:40:25 AM »
Hi, your lift looks great. I just picked up a 90 tracker. looks like I will be hitting the junkyard, what year was the explorer the springs are from? thanks or all your info.

The Explorer springs came out of a 93 and 94. I believe the explorer and 4x4 ranger springs are all the same from 91 to 94 so any in that range will work.

The rear springs are from the rear of a early 90s cherokee but could not tell you the exact year.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:41 AM »
when installing the strut spacers did you have to use Camber Alignment Bolts? and have you installed a Rear Upper Control Arm Drop Bracket? Just wondering if these things were and are needed. thanks for posting btw