Hello Guest

87 samurai no start no turn over

• 32 Replies

Offline Gotbait

Re: 87 samurai no start no turn over
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:48:34 AM »
Finally got it running over the weekend.  Got the starter issue corrected and motor turned over fine.  Just had to adjust the timing several times to get it to crank and run.  Just need to put the exhaust back on and adjust the timing with the gun.  Every thing else seems to be ok so far.

Did notice some oil leaking from the rear main seal.  Will running it and breaking it in help the seals seat and stop leaking?  I don't think I really should worry until after I do the post break in oil change.  Would you agree?

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58:33 AM »
Did notice some oil leaking from the rear main seal.  Will running it and breaking it in help the seals seat and stop leaking?  I don't think I really should worry until after I do the post break in oil change.  Would you agree?

I doubt it.  If it is leaking now, then it will probably continue to leak.
Did you put a new one in?  If so, then you might have damaged the seal when installing.  If you put a new one in, don't forget to put some grease on the inner lip of it before installing...otherwise it could be damaged as soon as you turn the motor over.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Gotbait

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 06:52:54 AM »
I will keep an eye on it and replace it if necessary.

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
Waiting for the rain to stop and to get off work.  I will let you know.  Thanks again!

I've been following your thread, any update???
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline Gotbait

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
Hopefully get time to work on it this week and have it on the road by the end of the weekend.  Just got a timming gun last night.

Offline Gotbait

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 05:52:10 AM »
Set the timing to 10 deg advance.  Does anyone know if the procedure is any different than setting the gun at 10 deg and setting the timing to zero? 
Also how do I adjust the idle without a tach?  Just by sound?

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Set the timing to 10 deg advance.  Does anyone know if the procedure is any different than setting the gun at 10 deg and setting the timing to zero? 
Also how do I adjust the idle without a tach?  Just by sound?

You should pull the vacuum advance vacuum line from the distributor, and plug it, before you set the timing.
I've never had a timing light with an advance knob on it, but your procedure for setting the timing with it sounds right.
You can try to set the idle by sound, but unless you are really good, you probably won't get it too close.  I usually use a dwell/tach meter, if I am setting the idle and the vehicle doesn't have a tach.  I bought mine years ago...from an auto parts store, maybe. ???

Offline Gotbait

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 05:55:05 AM »
Thanks I will pick up a tach today.  How hard is it to just add a tach to the thing?   I am going to take off the next day of so and finish this thing.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
Thanks I will pick up a tach today.  How hard is it to just add a tach to the thing?   I am going to take off the next day of so and finish this thing.

Not hard at all, to add a tach.  Power, ground, coil connection.

Offline Gotbait

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »
Went ahead and bought the dwell/tach, better investment and more useful.  Got the idle set, timing set, and reset the valve lash.  Runs greatsounds great, Transmission sucks.  Drained the trans fluid and it looked like anti-sieze(the silver kind).  1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears are real noisy,  4th & 5th are sound normal.
QUESTION

Which is my best option rebuild, replace with same model, or swap out for a better transmission?  I think I have said before I live on the coast and don't plan on rockn' or trailing.  I just need a beach car and maybe ocasional mudding.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
If you can find a good used tranny for cheap, that would probably be the way to go.
You can get good quality rebuild kits for around $120-150, I think.  So if you can rebuild your existing one, that may be a good option too.
I don't think I would recommend putting a different type of tranny in.

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
Suzuki Lightning Conversions has some used trannies for $425 including shipping, i think that's a good deal.

Here is the link to there used parts section  http://www.suzukiconversion.com/suzuki_parts.htm

Also if you want to rebuild or buy a rebuilt tranny Trail Tough sells both, here's a link to there page for the rebuilt tranny http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=65&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

and the link for the rebuild kit  http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=67&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Hope this helps out and good luck.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
You can usually find good used trannys for about $150.
You can buy good quality rebuild kits off of ebay cheaper than what vendors sell them for.  Just make sure the bearings in the rebuild kit are japan made bearings (koyo, nachi, etc.)

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
You can buy good quality rebuild kits off of ebay cheaper than what vendors sell them for.  Just make sure the bearings in the rebuild kit are japan made bearings (koyo, nachi, etc.)

Dude if you know where to get a used transmission in good running condition for $150 tell me where i'll order one right now, i have't been able to find one even close to that price......

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »

Dude if you know where to get a used transmission in good running condition for $150 tell me where i'll order one right now, i have't been able to find one even close to that price......

Look in the classified section.  I see them occasionally in there for $150ish.