Hello Guest

Tracker soft top vs hard top

• 6 Replies

Offline horseman

Tracker soft top vs hard top
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
I'm looking at a 89 Tracker with soft top.  I live in Southern Alberta, Canada and get really cold winters.  Is there a benefit of a hard top vs a soft top for warm and blowing snow.  I also live at least 6 miles from any pavement and the summers get really dusty gravel roads.  Will a soft top let in too much fine dust and need constant cleaning.  Wondering if I should just wait for one to come up for sale with both tops.  I suppose I could look for hard tops for the this Tracker too, but don't know what other years will fit.

Thanks for any help.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Tracker soft top vs hard top
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
The soft top on my 89' always reminded me of being in a tent,
it keeps the rain off, and the wind from blowing on you too hard
but it really won't stop the fine dust and hard sideways wind blows
through between the top and the roof section, but heating was not
ever a problem

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline horseman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
Thats kind of what I figured.  I may keep looking till I find one for sale with a hard top unless I can get this 89 for a really good price. 

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
You could always look for a Tin top.
I just got most of the Moab dust out of my Tracker, and then went to the Race in Sparks, Nv. for even finer dust.  Still I enjoy my soft top for the 4 weeks of summer that is spread out in Washington.  Heating it in the really cold wasn't much of an issue, but there were times in Eastern Wa. that having gloves was good.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
Love my tintop for all the reasons stated above, for the few weeks when a convertable would be nice, the rest of the time being out of the elements COMPLETELY, no rain, dirt or snow getting in, is a major plus. Besides that, where I live wheeling in the woods without a good top is inviting tic bites.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline kreator

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
There will always be pro's and con's to both , I luv my soft top tracker and dont want a hard top . the wife would like a 4 door though ;)
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
Too bad about that soft top!!! ::)
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.