Hello Guest

Build up: 87 sami, 1.6 16v, Megasquirt

• 52 Replies

Offline rbparker

Re: Build up: 87 sami, 1.6 16v, Megasquirt
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
What kind of fend flares are those?
They look a little narrow for those tires, if you end up replacing them and want to get rid of them send me a pm.

I assume from the noise the fuel pump makes that its a high flow pump? Are you going/did you upgrade the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator? I'd assume you'll need an upgraded fuel delivery system to support a turbo. Unless its something like a T25 (tdo3) and you're looking for 5psi... That would be a shame!

With all the work you've done I've gotta ask why didn't you go with forged pistons if you're plan all along was to turbo it?

Is a cam, maybe even new springs and retainers in the future?

I like the resourcefulness of the manifold your building, just not the design as its restrictive.

Great work though, this thing should be inspiring ;). your bed liner sure turned out better than mine.

Parker.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
Parker, they are actually missing the flares. I just Hurculinered them. I don't like the factory flares at all. I will buy some wide ones down the road.

I did add a high flow pump and filter. I will Def have a RR FPR as the Turbo install gets closer. With that a bit further out I have not calculated injector size or fuel supply needs.

The snail is a t25 from a Saab 2.3. I am not looking for crazy power... just more reliable power at lowest rpm i can. And really just something fun. With this turbos maps I think 12psi is very Max. Thats in the 130hp ish range on paper. Not sure if I will go that far or not.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
If I remember I will post my math and findings later.

I didn't do forged mainly BC I didn't see the need. This rig has already past the original plan of just a fresh motor. I am also using a good but used $40 pick n pull Turbo! The goal is just cheap reliable fun I guess. I did go stainless exh. valves.

The $50 DIY manifold should be more than sufficient in this application. I could spend more time on equal length but from what Ive read it wont make a large enough difference here. I want the shortest distance possible into and out of the Turbo. I wont be piping in an intercooler. I will add Meth/alcohol injection instead. The MS box is already setup to add it. I already installed the wideband 02.

Of course its learn as you go and I am opened minded. Its my second Turbo project but I am no pro!

Offline rbparker

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
Haha it is the T25!
I was kinda seeing a different goal in my mind than a grab-n-go fun toy (take out the grab-n-go), with the valves, mega squirt, 16v, and COP. After I made the post I thought of the displacement and a low-end power band you'll be after and I'm sure the manifold will do just fine, probably shouldn't have said anything. For some reason I was thinking something around a 16g (tdo4) and 20psi. A dsm, 2.0L 16v motor with the T25 came with 450cc injectors and spooled around 2800rpm - 5600rpm'ish as an f.y.i.

I still can't wait to see this done! I've been wanting to SC my 16v just cause I've never owned one but I may be convinced to use a 13g (tdo3) I have sitting around.

You going to use a BOV? hehe... :P

And lastly I'd recommend getting an egt gauge with exhaust tape if its not already in the plans.

Keep up the work and Get'r done!
Parker.

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:24 AM »
Haha it is the T25!
I was kinda seeing a different goal in my mind than a grab-n-go fun toy (take out the grab-n-go), with the valves, mega squirt, 16v, and COP. After I made the post I thought of the displacement and a low-end power band you'll be after and I'm sure the manifold will do just fine, probably shouldn't have said anything. For some reason I was thinking something around a 16g (tdo4) and 20psi. A dsm, 2.0L 16v motor with the T25 came with 450cc injectors and spooled around 2800rpm - 5600rpm'ish as an f.y.i.

I still can't wait to see this done! I've been wanting to SC my 16v just cause I've never owned one but I may be convinced to use a 13g (tdo3) I have sitting around.

SC would be neat!  I have already broken the transmission mount bolt.  Locked F/R, 90hp and hard wheeling i suppose. I promise you it will not break again after I am done :)
You going to use a BOV? hehe... :P
Yes and how sweet it will be!!  There are a few good youtube vids of turbo'd 16v with BOV out there... worth a look.  I wish the damned things werent so expensive for what they are.

And lastly I'd recommend getting an egt gauge with exhaust tape if its not already in the plans.

Keep up the work and Get'r done!
Parker.
Thx for the suggestions.  I am running out of air vents to install guages lol.  I may have to fab up another mount somewhere!!!

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »
Couple of pix of the front Calmini 3" to YJ swap.  What a difference in how much smoother the ride is!  Cant wait to get the back swapped.  It sure is a pain making brackets with cut-off wheels and torches lol.  Definately worth saving the several hundred bux though.

This is 5" hole-to-hole then I added the orig. 3" shackle back to the front hole.  Ended up with a pretty decent angle.

I still have 3" of shock droop left here. Forgot to snap an updated close-up but I built a missing link for the front and relocated the upper shock mounts.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
Great work so far.  8)  You'd be surprized how only 7lbs of boost can really make a difference in these motors, especially fueled correctly. Might want to start savin' for some new tires too, just sayin.  :laugh:
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »
Great work so far.  8)  You'd be surprized how only 7lbs of boost can really make a difference in these motors, especially fueled correctly. Might want to start savin' for some new tires too, just sayin.  :laugh:

Thanks.  I would have this turbo bolted up already but I haven't been up to the daunting task of researching and ordering all the new plumbing related fittings. Oil in/out, water in/out, air in/out, and of course the air filter. Not to mention what they want for a simple relief valve (blow off).

This tiny engine bays gonna look like a maze lol. 

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »

Not 100% done but got the basics.  The slight droop is from the back right tire being almost flat.

Still need to build bump stops.

First static test i dinged the shock body.. doh. Resolved that with spacing the lower shock a bit.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
You will need to add a bar across the top of your folding shackle to stop them from bending backwards at full droop.  Also, be careful the first few times out, I tend to get some nasty death wobble when the air is let out of the tires and I'm driving on pavement.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:51 AM »
Here are the replacment seats we decided on.  They are from around a 2000 PT Cruiser.  Fitment was pretty smooth but we removed all the factory mounts which left us with just the 2 rails to deal with.  We added 2" spacers on the sami floor and the seats are pretty close to old height.  These have a long forward/backward travel so we mounted them as far back as possible since I am 6'2".  Much more comfortable so far but we have not "bump" tested them.  They are plush but possibly more on the firm side.

We like them for the adjustable arm rests and the passenger seat folding down flat forwardly.

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
i am wanting to do the 1.6 16v swap in my 88.5 sami but i am having trouble finding a motor and i dont exactly know what im looking for any tips or sugestions that might help with my project

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Bit of an update.  Weld ELs and a lot of labor...

Lots of plumbing left to do.. will post more later thx.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 03:59:22 AM »
lookin good so far!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
lookin good so far!

That is the way it appears to me, but I do not know about Turbo's.  I guess the better part of it is trying to make it work, and then those interested can learn too.
Thanks for sharing.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.