Hello Guest

exhaust power

• 50 Replies

Offline Dimitros

Re: exhaust power
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »
...and so much hated by many people "backpressure" thing.
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
You guys.....so silly.

Reading through posts about trying to squeeze more power from such a powerLESS engine is funny.

Like you are all in denial.....It's like an AA meeting!

"My samurai has so much power....it really does....and I don't have a drinking problem either!"

=P

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »
You guys.....so silly.

Reading through posts about trying to squeeze more power from such a powerLESS engine is funny.

Like you are all in denial.....It's like an AA meeting!

"My samurai has so much power....it really does....and I don't have a drinking problem either!"

=P

:o :o :o

Can't see anything bad in "squeezing more power". Power is like money, always not enough. What's bad in 100hp 1.3l Sam's engine?

And your little AA problem ??? Why would someone write about it if there is no such concern?
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline RACER X

• zuki or die!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
Lindenmooch  is in denial of his A.A. problem as am I.
98 kick

Offline jaunty

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
ain't nothing wrong with performance tuning with any size engine.  its fun. 

anyway, how does one measure the exhaust diameter? inner or outer? I'd like to know what i have!

The suzuki samurai FSM does mention backpressure but only as a component in the EGR system, it "needs" it to function correctly. 

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »
ain't nothing wrong with performance tuning with any size engine.  its fun.  

anyway, how does one measure the exhaust diameter? inner or outer? I'd like to know what i have!

The suzuki samurai FSM does mention backpressure but only as a component in the EGR system, it "needs" it to function correctly.  

See, back pressure has it's purpose!

Here is my experience on exhausts:

Way back in 2001, I replaced the stock exhaust system with a EDIT! 2.25", NOT 1.25" exhaust, a Thorley header, a cat converter and some sort of high-flow muffler the muffler shop guy chose. Except for the Thorley, the entire system was installed by the muffler shop for around $200.00.

Right then and there, I KNEW I had done something right!  That old 1.3 ran a LOT better!

Oh, and the owner was a Russian immigrant who really knows his stuff and is a DANGED NICE GUY!!  I recommend him to everyone who asks about muffler shops in Kansas City.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:04:22 AM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
one and a quarter inch,  ?

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »
one and a quarter inch,  ?

...Oops!  fixed post, above.   :sleepy:
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
I run a 2" exhaust on my SJ-410 with the 1 Liter, did the same on the Metro when I had it with the 1.0L.  Both vehicles loved the ability to open up a little bit. 
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
what's the difference between a calmini and a thorley header,  My zuk is a 75% strret and 25% deer lease, mud

Offline Jadama

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
what's the difference between a calmini and a thorley header,  My zuk is a 75% strret and 25% deer lease, mud

x2, sorry guys newbie, thinking of which to buy too for my vit.

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
i got in the shopping cart, thorley header, 32/36 manual choke weber, k $ n, flow thru cat, cherry bomb, all tied together with 2 1/4" pipe.

Offline crgm101

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »
hey perfect topic for my post i just installed a harley exhaust on my sammy 1.3lt with stock header and flex pipe joining the two good idea or bad. I figured the harley motor i pulled it off of was 1300 cc's so i figured it would work. Sounds bad $## though

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
Hey guys, I know I'm fairly new here and all and I'm not the type of person to say "your right and your wrong" so please dont take this that way. You all have some valid points on this topic and I would just like to add my 2 cents for what its worth. I've been building mustang drag cars for the past 14 years or so and I know we arent talking drag cars but the subject has many crossover points between the two. There are many variables to take into consideration when choosing the size of your exhaust such as length, diameter, muffler size, etc. and it can be kind of tricky to find the right combo that works for what you want it to work for. Too large of exhaust tubing will not allow for a scavenging effect in a full length system, the exhaust gases just tend to float around which will cause an issue as some of you have said about sucking spent fumes back into the cylinder. Another problem with a system that is piped too large and is by all means a problem only for a long term motor and not one that is torn down and rebuilt regularly and that is valve float which will prematurely wear the valve train. A certain amount of what is commonly referred to as "backpressure" is needed to prevent this. As I said, not a big problem in terms of a race engine. An exhaust system that is too small can have similar effects in terms of "backfilling the cylinder" because the spent fumes arent allow enough room to vacate. Too much pressure will cause hesitation partly due to valves not being able to fully open under the strain and not only wears the stems and springs but plays hell on the seats. Just my opinion on things but felt like the info might benefit the topic. Thanks guys for a great site.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
Some cam shafts will also work better with a specific amount of back pressure,
the back pressure prevents the intake charge from escaping out the exhaust
valve as the cylinder fills, this is due to the overlap in the valve timing of the
cam it's self, What I do know is that a 2" exhaust makes these little engines
wake up and run better, while still getting good economy.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.