Hello Guest

My calmini Struts

• 45 Replies

Offline inchaos10

Re: My calmini Struts
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
 :o wow. what just happend?  ??? a response from calmini, that's crazy. But any how. The strut are broke and gone. What i didn't understand is having to go back to the company i bought them from to try and get them replaced. I mean its calmini`s product, so know matter what i would think calmini should deal with the parts themselves. It would be much easier and we would get a much faster response. Making customer service alto better on there end. I just don't see the sense in it  ???. I don't think the backspacing of the rim is such a big issue with failing struts. Like said in the past i think its them getting over extended/topped out. It would be awesome if the kit came with limiting straps. But that would prob Mean another couple hundred from calmini (over exaggerated) but yall know what i mean.

I cant believe they pretty much told jluck to shut up. A guy running there kit giving his opinion about them. Yeah he may have not bought it from them but SO WHAT!!. And for them to just come on the post just posting whats on there website and in the instructions that comes with the kit. So calmini im sure we are all aware of the specs we should go by.

The problem calmini needs to realize imo is the struts are being over extended/topped out. not really a backspacing issue imo. Yeah it may add more stress but its not the bigger picture. I don't see what a long travel strut will do for this problem. Its still a ifs. We still wont be able to get much more travel without binding the CV`s. The spring is so compressed that if you get any kind of airborn or anything that will cause it to rapidly extend and top out, it will more likely break imo. Maybe they should just offer different spring rates for people that's not running all the accessories like bumpers and winch`s. May not solve the strut problem but would make the ride better  ;D. Who dosent like more options to customize there rig. eah it might be more money in the beginning for them but imo they would make more money in the future.

Also why wouldn't calmini sell there products separately. I mean if altered ego nation doe why not compete. If i woulda known about that kit before i bought calminis i would have deff saved a small amount more and bought there kit. You get alot more travel with that kit. Wheres that time machine at when i want it. ::)

Offline kreator

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
Hey it seems that this topic is geeting heated, as a off road fabricator I see some thing a little differant than most, I am not sticking up for Calmini or the fact that some thing in the set up is not correct , 1, the arm length and the spring strength all change the ratio of movement and if the strut is bottoming out and not the bump stop it needs to be moved up, 2, if the spring is to long it also causes problems with spring bind , and puts side load on the strut,3 , if the spring is also to long it is causing the the strut to top out to hard and then just a limit strap would help stop that issue if that is really the issue .
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline Rubberducky

• 1990 sidekick 3" Calmini Sus Lift ARB
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »

Online fordem

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
A larger tire provides more leverage. Addtionally, the height of the tire in relation to ball joint placement will also effect alignment. We will have a full explanation up shortly...

Let me just say that this answer just raises more questions - it appears to fly in the face of conventional suspension theory - I WILL be looking forward to that full explanation.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline kreator

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
If your strut blew going over a curb there has to be something else wrong also, if the only thing that kit give you is height than there is no reason for it to do that , here I am defending them again. the point I am trying to get across is there is some thing that everybody has over looked . I  will be taking my tracker apart and help you guys out, I build long travel sand cars and it dosen't fall apart |removethispart|@100mph or 10' in the air.
Where are you located at ? I am in salem or
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline Rubberducky

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Its simple they need to get rid of the strut tower spacer and have the entire strut made longer both in body and shaft length.
Just like Calmini says. Funny thing is, if they actually do it we still cant buy it separately.
What make me mad is you have to figure it out on your own a few $Ks later.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
Strut blew going over a speed bump?  ???  I pound the crap out of mine from fast, bumpy rooted woods runs to rock crawling and it usually takes many months of use before one lets go. Gotta be something else wrong there. At this point I just consider them (struts) replacable wear items, that get used up like anything else. It is a bitch to have to get realigned every time I have to replace one,  and yes the cost does suck too, but once you leave the realm of stock nothing lasts as long, and we should try and remember that.
I do think that Calmini could aspire to the levels of customer service of say ARB for example. When my OME Coils clapped out after less than a year I was sent a replacement set no charge. When I broke a pressure switch through my own clumsyness, and told them so, I was sent a replacement under warrenty, NC. When my ARB compressor finally burned out after 4 years filling tires and running my lockers, I was given a new updated and more powerful one at their cost. That customer service.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline bentparts

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
One more thing, if you only have .5" of down travel your coils are probably not broken in yet. They will eventually break in and sag, believe me, theres plenty of evidence that they do. If you don't get a chance to go off road much, you'll probably have to find another way to break them in. I hear jumping your truck helps. ;D

Offline Rubberducky

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
Well if there was something wrong on my part then I'm sure they would have goten back to me on all the pictures i sent them months ago. This was installed by an off road shop as well. They also had a hard time with customer service as well.

Offline Rubberducky

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
I have had the lift on for two years now. I have herd a that as well before.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »
Hmmmm, thay ( Calmini) have had enough time to respond I think, and I guess there response is , "Tough shit." Don't know what else to tell you, don't by anything else from them I guess. Too bad such a well known vendor has to treat their customers this way.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »
I  will be taking my tracker apart and help you guys out, I build long travel sand cars and it dosen't fall apart |removethispart||removethispart|@100mph or 10' in the air.
Where are you located at ? I am in salem or

I need to spend some time down in Or.  There are some "Real Movers and Shakers" there.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline kingsize

• Mother Approved
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 07:42:31 AM »
 Wow the stupidity in this thread is tremendous. If you don't like Calmini parts then go build the shit yourself. Then let all the internet engineers here tell you that you sucks.

Now I see why they responded they way they did. This board is becoming just as faggy as the Nissan boards.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
Ah, it looks like spring time is here for 2011.

Please re-read the welcome message at the top of this sub-forum. Pay particular attention to the paragraph on courtesy and civility and then scan on down to the open letter that was written to the forum many years ago outlining a positive path to move forward with our community as I think it has relevancy to this thread.

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/general-suzuki-forum/welcome-to-the-zukiworld-online-forum-please-read-me-first!/

I would like to see this thread continue as it appears to me that many are trying to genuinely share their experiences with the rest of the community and that is wonderful.

Thank you, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Jluck

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
Wow the stupidity in this thread is tremendous. If you don't like Calmini parts then go build the shit yourself. Then let all the internet engineers here tell you that you sucks.

Now I see why they responded they way they did. This board is becoming just as faggy as the Nissan boards.

looks like some one created a ghost account just to rant. humm....from so cal, and a bad Nissan reference.....sounds like nissan owners are  unhappy with a certain company too.

is faggy a word? that almost sounds like jeep-owner lingo. :laugh:

that email address says it all     tjon40's (at) gmail.com  :P

life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!