Hello Guest

My calmini Struts

• 45 Replies

Offline Jluck

Re: My calmini Struts
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Since your here,why can't single items be purchased individually? I need control arms to
Complete a suspension kit for a sidekick and was told I can't buy them. Seems counter productive to profit.
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Online fordem

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »
Just a few notes regarding the struts used in our Sidekick/Tracker suspension systems.
    - We do not manufacture these units.  They are the standard OE replacement units made by Gabriel/Monroe.
    - In many cases, due to the quantity of units we stock, they well develop flat spots from shipping/storage and will require cycling of the shaft to eliminate flat spots in the action of the strut.
     - Proper backspacing of the wheel is key to providing the correct leverage on the front suspension. Tech sheets are sent with all IFS systems with our recommended wheel size, backspacing, and tire size.  ANY variation from this will lead to alignment/suspension cycling issues.

As is always the case, every one has a different idea on what wheels look best, we all have different budgets, and this affects the parts we put on our vehicles.  FOR EXAMPLE: If you decide to run a 4.5" backspaced wheel when the system calls for a 2.5" unit, you should expect to have alignment/suspension issues.  If you decided to run stock tires instead of the recommended taller tire, you should expect to have alignemnt/suspension issues.

That said, we are in final testing of a new long travel strut.  Sample units have been in testing for over 2 years now with very good results (both street and off-road).  They would effectively eliminate the need for the strut tower spacer as the entire strut is longer both in body and shaft length (travel) on our 3" suspension system.  We would like to have these units available late this year.  Please watch the website for updates on this project.

I can understand the increased backspacing putting increased stress on components due to the increased leverage - but why should a taller/shorter tire have an impact on aligment & suspension?  Do explain.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Jluck

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
Sounds like a cop-out loop hole for customer service/warranty too me! :-\
I wondered the same thing too about tire diameter changing alignment.

Offline CALMINI_Inc.

• The Leader in Suzuki Offroad
    • CALMINI Products, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »
A larger tire provides more leverage. Addtionally, the height of the tire in relation to ball joint placement will also effect alignment. We will have a full explanation up shortly...

Jluck, if you have issues, maybe they should stick to PM's.  Your lack of professionalism does not belong in this thread. Thank you

Offline Jluck

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
My lack of professionalism? I tried calling and was told to get screwed.and I'm not the only one. I have a right to post anything I want here. Sorry for calling you out but at least we got a response. Thanks and I won't post anything else.

After all.... Didn't you chime in to this thread??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:28:18 PM by Jluck »

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Look guys, I'm not trying to defend Calmini, but broken struts can happen from any number of reasons, the most common being over extending and topping out. I've gone through 3 sets of OME's and I don't think its a problem with the strut. Even after installing limit straps,  my driving style, and lift mods just push them to the limit of their envolope. Just replaced another after wasting it up at Rousch. (good thing I keep finding cheap ome spares!)  Now, I do agree some kind of disclaimer or at least the reccomendation of limiting straps should come with the kit, but there's enough past discussion of strut issues on this forum for anyone to be able to find solutions, like limiting straps, to strut issues. JMO. :)
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
Well I am in the market for a small lift for my new to me sami. Looks like I just eliminated one company from the list. let me explain why.
Its not because of the shock that we all just watched the videos of. Its because of the piss poor C/S response to the issue posted in this thread from Calmini. Where I come from the customer is always right even if there wrong.
Dosnt matter if you get a customer with a attitude, you try everything you can to make it right, but judging from your response to jluck. Your company or the company you represent could care less.
This type of thing is how you lose a customer not gain one.

Offline DaddyDave

• Indeed
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
i think it was  because of Jlucks penchant for griping about them not selling components individually and feeling that he, personally, was the reason for their post.  just my 2
"The maximum effective range of an excuse is 0.0 meters."

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
i think it was  because of Jlucks penchant for griping about them not selling components individually and feeling that he, personally, was the reason for their post.  just my 2
I can understand that, but its obvious to me that jluck has purchased product from calmini, and he needs parts. At no point did he even gat a answer.
You would think in this bad economic time that a company would be trying to bend over backwards for business. Its not like the have the market cornered or anything like that. Just my 2.

Offline DaddyDave

• Indeed
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
I bet your wrong. He has been scouring the classifieds and tried to buy used components I was selling months ago. check the whole board.  He likely called to try and buy components separately which they do not do as company policy. 

Could you imagine the warranties and issues with all the differnet homemade setups and all the headaches that would cause?  No thanks!

Offline DaddyDave

• Indeed
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
I tried calling and was told to get screwed.

Really?  Someone there actually told you that?  Told you to "get screwed"? Yeah right. Post up how it really happened.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I bet your wrong. He has been scouring the classifieds and tried to buy used components I was selling months ago. check the whole board.  He likely called to try and buy components separately which they do not do as company policy.  

Could you imagine the warranties and issues with all the differnet homemade setups and all the headaches that would cause?  No thanks!
I see what your saying, but im sure im not wrong in the way I feel about the way Calmini responded to a customer on a board. On top of that they didnt attempt to own the problem on the shock. You know the one they put there name on. Instead they blame Gabriel/Monroe in a roundabout way.
In no way am I asking anyone to aggree with me, or get on my bandwagon. All this is just my opinion about it. Its just bad business in my eyes, and I wont purchase from them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:18:17 PM by SLICKYINC »

Offline Jluck

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
WOW THIS IS GETTING GOOD!
I tried calling and was told to get screwed.

Really?  Someone there actually told you that?  Told you to "get screwed"? Yeah right. Post up how it really happened.

nope your exactly correct daddydave but they were quite rude and short on the phone.(the exact "get screwed" was not used). I have always been a calmini fan and was rather shocked by there response. yes I ranted about it in other posts I thought it was a prudent topic.
I am surprised you are still bitter over the snarky comments I made to you in the past. get over it. I apologize OK!
I would not go and give any bad press unless I thought others should know. I'm not the only one that had crap service from them. After all I use forums to convey my experiences to fellow users. not to sell product for a company I cant stand behind.

my .02

Offline Rubberducky

• 1990 sidekick 3" Calmini Sus Lift ARB
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »

Offline Rubberducky

• 1990 sidekick 3" Calmini Sus Lift ARB
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
Calmini_inc you need to work on your Technical Prestige!  I have herd better damage control fom BP.