• 45 Replies

Offline inchaos10

My calmini Struts
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
Left side     
calmini strut 1

Right side   
calmini strut 2

Sorry i couldent combine them. These have been in about 3 good trail rides.

Offline Jluck

Re: My calmini Struts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
WOW!!! whats up with that? any guess what went wrong? (quality)?
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline inchaos10

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
I honestly dont know. Its only been on 3 all day trail rides and very little road, and the trails i ride is nothing severe. ive gone with my stock shocks and 29" tsl/sx and dident have this problem. So maybe a bad batch. I did come across another guy with the same problem.    ??? Also calmini wouldent replace them. I kept geting the run around from them and the people i bought the kit from. So i found my new ones on ebay..  8)

Offline Jluck

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
I have to wonder about that company ??? I guess there selling so much product customer service just dont matter! ??? ???

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
The problem is most likely the struts being over-extended.  We have seen the OME struts die a quick death for the same reason.  Look at fitting your front end with a limiting strap and it will probably help avoid such things in the future.

I did manage to get rid of all off the damping power in a set of cheap struts from Napa over a single Fall Adventure challenge.  Just couldn't handle the beating on the dirt back roads.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »
What lift are you running? I'm with Drone. It sounds like bottoming out or over extending of the strut? I wasted a couple of pair on my 3" lift when I had the upper strut mount flipped and the spacer installed. It gave me a little more drop but wasted the strut and CV.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline inchaos10

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:25:43 AM »
Its the calmini 3". I am deffenitly thinking of adding limiting straps. Any one know of a set made for it or how to go about makeing some?

Offline Rubberducky

• 1990 sidekick 3" Calmini Sus Lift ARB
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »

Offline Rubberducky

• 1990 sidekick 3" Calmini Sus Lift ARB
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »
sorry... I have a 3 1/4 inch back space.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:10 AM »
did you have your anti-sway bar removed or disconnected?

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
LIMIT STRAPS
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline inchaos10

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
No. sway bar was and still is on lol.

Offline TrakJD

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
Drone is right.  The first video.... Whoah!   Second one, not the first time Ive seen it.  Im on my 2nd set of stock struts right now.  Looking into OME but at the same time limit its over-extenstion.  Limit straps would help. 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
Its the calmini 3". I am deffenitly thinking of adding limiting straps. Any one know of a set made for it or how to go about makeing some?

If if you go to Summit Racing, or similar places, you can find limiting straps in a variety of sizes.  Figure out the length you need and weld a couple of tabs, on on the a-arm and one on the frame or on the strut brace.  On the race rig we just fabbed something up using a couple of seat belts ends, works great.  We also added some bracing on the inside of the strut tower at the same time.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline CALMINI_Inc.

• The Leader in Suzuki Offroad
    • CALMINI Products, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
Just a few notes regarding the struts used in our Sidekick/Tracker suspension systems.
    - We do not manufacture these units.  They are the standard OE replacement units made by Gabriel/Monroe.
    - In many cases, due to the quantity of units we stock, they well develop flat spots from shipping/storage and will require cycling of the shaft to eliminate flat spots in the action of the strut.
     - Proper backspacing of the wheel is key to providing the correct leverage on the front suspension. Tech sheets are sent with all IFS systems with our recommended wheel size, backspacing, and tire size.  ANY variation from this will lead to alignment/suspension cycling issues.

As is always the case, every one has a different idea on what wheels look best, we all have different budgets, and this affects the parts we put on our vehicles.  FOR EXAMPLE: If you decide to run a 4.5" backspaced wheel when the system calls for a 2.5" unit, you should expect to have alignment/suspension issues.  If you decided to run stock tires instead of the recommended taller tire, you should expect to have alignemnt/suspension issues.

That said, we are in final testing of a new long travel strut.  Sample units have been in testing for over 2 years now with very good results (both street and off-road).  They would effectively eliminate the need for the strut tower spacer as the entire strut is longer both in body and shaft length (travel) on our 3" suspension system.  We would like to have these units available late this year.  Please watch the website for updates on this project.