Hello Guest

k&n vs. calmini

• 10 Replies

Offline adamsobi

k&n vs. calmini
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
so i need a new airfilter. and im not sure between the K&N or Calmini seeing as they are the similar prices. any feedback? mainly looking for hp gains
1997 Sidekick
2" body, 1" coil spacer
31x10.5 r15 toyo mt
custom tube bumper

Online fordem

Re: k&n vs. calmini
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm not certain I'd go with either one - not on an offroad vehicle.

The Calmini looks like some sort of foam - and let me make it clear, I haven't used a Calmini filter, but I have used foam, both oiled & dry, and I would NEVER go back there again, the K&N is oiled cotton, and I have no problem using it on the street (again to make it clear, I DO use a K&N filter on my car), but in a dusty environment, uhh, no thank you.

Almost forgot - HP gains - haven't used the calmini, no can't comment there - K&N - nice throaty induction roar, and although I wasn't really expecting any HP gain, low down torque was noticeably increased, not significantly, but noticeably - worth the extra coin, on the street, maybe - worth the extra risk in the dirt - nah.

Someone's going to ask why I bought the K&N if I wasn't expecting a performance increase - well - I did not buy a "drop-in" replacement panel, I bought an entire custom filter assembly, because I fitted an upper strut brace that ended up being too close to the original filter and fixed the "clearance" issue by switching to slightly smaller K&N filter assembly.

I guess I should note here that my torque increase may have been the result of my discarding a fairly long & convoluted intake duct in the fenderwell.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:52:25 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
I've used both, the Calmini is harder to clean and more restrictive. I use K+N in my Ford, my Harley and my Tracker. Never had any issues keeping it clean but I only do real " dusty " occasionally. Have had it out in the desert and Canyon Lands in bad dust storms with no ill effects. Just clean as recommended.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline adamsobi

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
im running a DIY snorkel, so as you were saying with the ducting, mine might differ
1997 Sidekick
2" body, 1" coil spacer
31x10.5 r15 toyo mt
custom tube bumper

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:26:28 AM »
I've run the K&N for a while on my 96, works fine and I don't need to worry about replacing the filter.  I remember a little better throttle response when I put it on, but that may have been imaginary.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
I'd choose K&N, placed in stock air filter box. Gains are very noticeable in case you got modified engine - porting, Weber/CV , header and proper exhaust. As for dusty conditions, never had any problems with K&N. You see, here in Ukraine there's much more dust on roads especially in big cities in summer than off roads. Got into dust, drive home, wash the filter, let it dry, oil it, let it sit for a while(3-4 hours), place it back and here you go. And would you do with conventional filter? Threw it away and buy a new one, another expenses.

Also as I've noticed, well oiled K&N holds dust like paper filter if not even a bit better when in stock place.

What is not preferred for  dusty conditions is Cold Air Intake systems with open cone filter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:30:48 PM by Dimitros »
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline Jluck

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
I have always liked k&n filters opposed to foam. I have seen foam particles get sucked in to a motor that alone has kept my bias. As for the "dust" issue. IMO unless you do excessive amounts of dry wheeling I wouldn't worry about a open filter. Have had many without problems. Anyways your more likely to wear out a zuki motor before dust could really do any damage.
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
I'd choose K&N, placed in stock air filter box. Gains are very noticeable in case you got modified engine - porting, Weber/CV , header and proper exhaust. As for dusty conditions, never had any problems with K&N. You see, here in Ukraine there's much more dust on roads especially in big cities in summer than off roads. Got into dust, drive home, wash the filter, let it dry, oil it, let it sit for a while(3-4 hours), place it back and here you go. And would you do with conventional filter? Threw it away and buy a new one, another expenses.

Also as I've noticed, well oiled K&N holds dust like paper filter if not even a bit better when in stock place.

What is not preferred for  dusty conditions is Cold Air Intake systems with open cone filter.

I'm not in the Ukraine, but I am in a third world country, where there is significantly more dust in the cities than there would be in, just for example, a Canadian or American city (and yes, I have been in cities in both countries) - however - this is nothing compared to the dust that I would experience off road.  I don't have a problem using K&N in the city.

This is a link to an ARB web page that will give you an idea of the sort of dust we experience off road in Guyana - it passes through your oiled cotton K&N filter - you'll find it in the ducting after the filter.  The paper element traps it - and you take the element out of the air box, and tap it on the nearest flat surface and dislodge the dust before putting it back.

JLuck - that's the exact reason I won't use foam - and as for wearing out a Suzuki motor - that's what the dust does - bearing journals are in "like new" condition, pistons still have the factory knurling on the skirts,  but the rings & the bores are shot and the compression is non existent.

As for "dry wheeling" - we don't go wheeling, we're simply trying to get from A to B, and the only way to do so is down a laterite road (if you're lucky, recently graded) - it's usually easier in the dry season, wet season, there may not even be a road to get you there - in 2010 there were 30~40 metre sections of the road completely washed away.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:55:25 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
Holy crap fordum, with those kind of dusty conditions you probably ARE better off just knocking the dust off and slapping the filter back in. I would feel obligated to clean my K+N daily under those conditiions and that's way too much of a PITA. :laugh:
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Jluck

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
yep if I were in a environment like that I would probably have the air filter in the cabin but still a open element. as for the suzuki joke it was just to get a rise. :P
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline adamsobi

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
i ordered the K&N. thanks for the help in decision making process
1997 Sidekick
2" body, 1" coil spacer
31x10.5 r15 toyo mt
custom tube bumper