Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline Jluck

drew:
I'm going to wrap most (if not all of the exhaust) with exhaust wrap to keep things "burney-stinky-plasticy-melty"free.
>And yep on the straight pipe or maybe a small flow-master.
>No fuel rail yet. (kinda getting pissed) its the closest manufactured thing to this project and taking the longest. :-\
>I have thought about a master disconnect, just dunno yet.
>I might wire it myself if the wire guy keeps blowing me off. (dont want to but will).

and come on down, I will be around all day.

T-wrex:
maybe some of up left-coaster's will just have to drive our junk out your way! I plan on putting some serious miles on mine. and theres no "talent" here just patients and refusal to quit. ;)

this is stuff anybody can do if they want too.

life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Seen Jluck rig in person today....its gonna be pretty awesome when its done.

Offline Jluck

daily update.

ran a line for my oil pressure gauge and used a splitter block to use the factory sidekick sender for the dummy light also.
tip: put a small vacuum cap over the end of the copper line to aid in feeding it through firewall and grommets
and never use the nylon line supplied with most gauges, I know of a few motors that bleed to death because of them

I also made up a cradle for a large roll of stainless mig wire I have had around the shop for years. I put it remotely behind the welder. it worked very good. :)

then welded up the down-pipe and spent allot of time smoothing it. it turned out good enough to wrap with exhaust wrap. :P
(some anti-bling).

finished the evening with some wiring harness spring cleaning.

Offline Jluck

last update for a few days....gotta go back to work....damn it!

finally got my fuel rail  ;D but need to wait for one more fitting before I can plumb it. I drilled and tapped the end plug for a fuel pressure gauge.
the fit around the coolant pipe is perfect!
I finished up the evening with some winch wiring.

check out the gauge drew  ;)

Jluck, I hear you on the patience thing when it comes to build ups. I simply see ALOT of stuff that would be good, IF the people had taken the time/effort/patience to do it well.  On the roadtrip, thing, well COME ON OVER. I'd love to show you guys how we wheel over here in the land of mud, rocks, and sand. Then again, WE might get to met ya'll one day next year, since we are looking at moving out west/south, around the 'zona area most likely.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
What, no flex tube on that downpipe Jluck?  How is the system going to handle the vibes and motor shifting?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
That's what the doughnut is for on many stock exhaust systems, just
gives a little movement, but I never had any flex on my Sidekick and
didn't have any problems

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

I always figured that the factory rubber bushings/hangers were suffiecent, as the engineers have to have a vehicle make it throught at least the warranty period without too much trouble.  EXCESSIVE engine movement could/will cause problems down the road of course.

Offline bentparts

All that work you've put in, better safe than sorry IMO. They're cheap enough ( flex couplers ) why not just splice one in while you have it on the bench? Another thing to consider is the high rate of expansion that paticular part of the exhaust is going to go through being downstream of the turbo outlet. A little extra room to grow and contract couldn't hurt.

Offline locjaw

All that work you've put in, better safe than sorry IMO. They're cheap enough ( flex couplers ) why not just splice one in while you have it on the bench? Another thing to consider is the high rate of expansion that paticular part of the exhaust is going to go through being downstream of the turbo outlet. A little extra room to grow and contract couldn't hurt.
x2
an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline Jluck

yep I should just do it. I will just put one to the end of the down pipe and that will give me a good transition to thin-wall (regular stainless) exhaust tubing.

Offline bentparts

yep I should just do it. I will just put one to the end of the down pipe and that will give me a good transition to thin-wall (regular stainless) exhaust tubing.

Yep. ;)

Offline Jluck

alright you shamed me in to ordering a flex. :P

and heres the wire mountain that I am starting to decipher. and identify and cuss.....yep already. :laugh:

also waiting on one lonely aeroquip fitting to finish fuel system.

Offline bentparts

I thought you had a " wiring guru" that was going to help with that?

Offline Jluck

I thought so too but I cant seem to get him out here. :-\