Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
here's some poser pics of it somewhere other than the shop. then some camping prep.(back in the shop). and finally a day I have waited a long time for.........the decal.
The ones on the back window?  Sweet  ;D  
Those pictures make me want a 4-door.  I kind of wish I did, because there's nothing worse than seeing a 4-point buck and trying to get 4 people bailing out of the 2 door Tracker.  Yours looks awesome.  Just the right height, track width, tire size, everything looks well-proportioned.  
I especially like the transmission hump, you eliminated all the carpet and plastic stuff and it actually looks damn good, those cup holders are a great idea too.  I have a couple old big speaker magnets that I may consider for something like that.  Maybe you should patent your idea.  Speaking of which...

mag-light over the driver door
Dammit.  I knew I should have patented that  :P
I found out that if you pull out those two gray plastic plugs, there are actually nuts welded in for the option of adding a handle there.  I guess that would be for right-hand drive vehicles.  Anyways, perfect fit for two M6x1.0 bolts, a little aluminum plate with the bolts countersunk into the rear of the plate.  The nuts are on the front side of the brackets and have just the perfect clearance for the flashlights.  
The reason for the radius on the top leading edge was because the roof started to curve in drastically there, and cutting it was easier than making it contour to the ceiling.
The only trick is...being 6'2" tall, that I need to watch my head.  I only bumped my head once, needless to say, I learned quickly to duck my head.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:57:47 AM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

I like your Lil plate idea more than what I done. that's very nice.(mental note....steal idea.)and yep I hear ya on the height thing. I'm 6'5" 265# so my whole life I've fought everything being too low or narrow......the top of my head looks like a dirt berm at a shooting range. :laugh:
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
here's some poser pics of it somewhere other than the shop. then some camping prep.(back in the shop). and finally a day I have waited a long time for.........the decal.
The ones on the back window?  Sweet  ;D  
Those pictures make me want a 4-door.  I kind of wish I did, because there's nothing worse than seeing a 4-point buck and trying to get 4 people bailing out of the 2 door Tracker.  Yours looks awesome.  Just the right height, track width, tire size, everything looks well-proportioned.  
I especially like the transmission hump, you eliminated all the carpet and plastic stuff and it actually looks damn good, those cup holders are a great idea too.  I have a couple old big speaker magnets that I may consider for something like that.  Maybe you should patent your idea.  Speaking of which...

mag-light over the driver door
Dammit.  I knew I should have patented that  :P
I found out that if you pull out those two gray plastic plugs, there are actually nuts welded in for the option of adding a handle there.  I guess that would be for right-hand drive vehicles.  Anyways, perfect fit for two M6x1.0 bolts, a little aluminum plate with the bolts countersunk into the rear of the plate.  The nuts are on the front side of the brackets and have just the perfect clearance for the flashlights.  
The reason for the radius on the top leading edge was because the roof started to curve in drastically there, and cutting it was easier than making it contour to the ceiling.
The only trick is...being 6'2" tall, that I need to watch my head.  I only bumped my head once, needless to say, I learned quickly to duck my head.

Clean looking mounts, nice work. I've since gone to LED flashlites, 1/4 the size and weight, 5 times the light, fit in the glove box or belt holder.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Jluck

maybe the last post till I go wheeling and see if I can break this thing. (something in my peanut gallery is telling me the clutch will die).

I did get the engine bay looking better but still not good.,put in a bic holder,flash light mount pic,mocked up a 2way radio spot and a temporary place for a pistola.

thats about it, I cant wait to play with this rig.

Offline Jluck

last day of prep. leaving tomorrow at 4am.

did a few more things. got the topper on and loaded, put in a shelf for the dog and under storage, filled the wall and rear door with foam and put the covers back on,got a inverter. I think I'm ready.

I hope all goes well, with such a invasive conversion, so many potential problems. ah piss on it I'm going!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
I like your Lil plate idea more than what I done. that's very nice.(mental note....steal idea.)and yep I hear ya on the height thing. I'm 6'5" 265# so my whole life I've fought everything being too low or narrow......the top of my head looks like a dirt berm at a shooting range. :laugh:
Go ahead, that's what this forum is for, sharing ideas.  I will charge you royalties on the idea though...okay, okay, the first one is free.  Just don't tell anyone else or you'll have to kill em

Clean looking mounts, nice work. I've since gone to LED flashlites, 1/4 the size and weight, 5 times the light, fit in the glove box or belt holder.
Those are LED MAGLites, they kick ass.  Up until the day I bought those, I always had an old-school way of thinking that the tried-and-true incandescent bulbs were always best and they provided great range...that 2-D cell LED MAGLite proved me wrong.  It has a brighter light that maintains brightness over a LONGER distance than a comparable MAGLite.  I was impressed.  I went back later that night and bought another one for my other truck.  More compact than the 3-D maglite I used to carry around, and when Wal-Mart was closing them out for $29, I couldn't resist.
I hear ya though, I keep one of those compact LED torches in my hunting pack where space is an issue and I need to pack lightly.
For the ultimate compact light, look up Pak-Lite at http://www.9voltlight.com/

last day of prep. leaving tomorrow at 4am.

did a few more things. got the topper on and loaded, put in a shelf for the dog and under storage, filled the wall and rear door with foam and put the covers back on,got a inverter. I think I'm ready.

I hope all goes well, with such a invasive conversion, so many potential problems. ah piss on it I'm going!
AH the cargo capacity of a 4door, I envy you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:31:42 PM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
So your going for a 4:1 next?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jluck

not sure yet. I can almost put together a ringr and toyota duals for the same cost. (then gear down one toy case later)...dunno, moneys all tied up right now... :(

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Do the 4 2 1 tcase gears, $650 or so from TT and worth every penny!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Jluck

I figured I better post before any search parties were deployed.....(or celebrations that i stopped using zukiworld :P).

I have just been enjoying my kick.(alot).  after much tuning the mileage from the last tank was 19.7 ;D, up from 11. :-\. I now have put 1-1.5k on it since she was put on the road. I do love it and also have a list a mile long for needed changes and future "upgrades".

sneak peak of plans....(and pipe dreams.{atomic axles})

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:23:23 PM by Jluck »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Be careful with the seat width.  BRD HNTR is running a great set of seats in his, but they are a bit wide.

I like the dash.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jluck

Be careful with the seat width.  BRD HNTR is running a great set of seats in his, but they are a bit wide.

I like the dash.  :)

god I hope they fit! I already have them. If memory serves me wright there is three sizes, (crack head, regular and fatass) I got the middle ones.

and I love those dashes too. I can remove all clunky gauges and pods and run everything through the standalone. that will be nice!

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
LOL; JLuck........

Sizes; Crack Head, Regular, Fat Ass......

Its not a good pic; but its the world known universal biker's sign..........
                              "If Her ASS is wider than MY PINKIES, She Any Gunna Fit on Da Bitch Seat!!!"

CAPT

Offline Jluck

alrighty then.... the re-do items have begun........

the exhaust was obnoxious and driving me nuts....(maybe more nuts :P). so after a road trip to find a stainless replacement muffler (harder than you might think,3" In/out and both centered). I got more blank stares and "I can order it" answers than I care to recount.

AND BTW IT'S 2011 I CAN ORDER IT TOO!!!! PROBABLY FASTER AND CHEAPER!! argh!

I did find a MBRP resonator. impressive construction and said to cut db's by half. IT DOES!
IT SOUNDS GREAT NOW!!

then out back to that bumper, I haven't really liked the receiver hitch I first did so it got ditched and a scratch built one was employed and tucked up 3" and in 2 or 3". it really cleaned things up back there and I will still smooth the clunky ends. :)

NEXT, the spool has to go! it sucks. It pushes so hard and with the engine power I can easily lift a front tire wayyy of the ground when taking off to the right or left. :o  (SIDEKICK65 can attest to it!)