Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline Jluck

I think I have enough metal for another one here.  ;)
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
what gage steal are you using?  Are you going to add bracing on the inside once the skin is complete?  How are you going to work the spare tire swing into it?  Maybe I should just wait patiently and watch the master work  ::)

Offline Jluck

what gage steal are you using?  Are you going to add bracing on the inside once the skin is complete?  How are you going to work the spare tire swing into it?  Maybe I should just wait patiently and watch the master work  ::)

I actually already added some more 1" square tube behind it but didn't get pics. and the metal is 1/8"(I think it's enough). I would rather eventually trash it and build another one vs. having a 200 pound bumper. and frankly I have no certain idea on the tire carrier but I am kinda sure I will figure out something. and maybe you will just have too come down a take a look-see :)

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
just got a call from Duncan and your cowl seal rubber strip piece just came in and there was one more of the zip tie deals with it, I guess I only gave you 9 before.  I'm working tomorrow but there is a good chance that I'll be able to run out and deliver your stuff and drool on your bumper Saturday.

Offline Jluck

finally got a time window to work on the kick.

the 90*fuel fitting I have been waiting weeks on just got here too ;D ;D

also got my v-clamps for the exhaust and spent some time working on the exhaust system. I did not get a flex where I wanted one but there is one down stream at-least. I decided to do 100% stainless exhaust using 10 ga. material (1/8") it should last a life time.I did a cross over instead of running the exhaust down the passenger side. it was a bit of a challenge getting 3" pipe around the bell-housing and over top the front drive-line. the pics are hard to really see whats going on but you should get the jist. the pic with the flex joint is the mid pipe. I am using two gasket-less machined v-clamps to have breaks in the system for any maintence work that will be needed. :D

in the first and second pic, the odd shape compound curve gives access to the drain and fill plugs for the transmission too.

also sent the wiring harness out today ;D    
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:18:19 PM by Jluck »

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
Happy day!!!  The end of this pice of your project is in sight!!!!  It's looking like there is a really good chance that you'll be up and running before Memorial day, you should think about heading East with Eric and us and who ever, you have got to be sooo excited!!

Offline Jluck

Yep I'm getting pretty jacked! My financial dept. (ms.jluck) gave me the clearance to order the engine management standalone computer today too. (I have been dreading that expense). So as soon as I can get the company I'm working with to write a program for my specific build I will have everything to complete this phase of the build.

Then interior rebuild...... Then 4 link, sas with atomic axles (hopefully).,35-37's

Or none of the above and start a Sammy build.

Opinions????? ???

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Nah. You just spent all that time piecing together the Calmini lift and making your own control arms and haven't even had a chance to try it out first.
Plus, you've really intrigued me with all this talk about a LWB build. Go for that. The 4dr will be awesome enough already.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

slow progress on the Audikick today but progress none the less.

got the fuel rail plumbed and installed and somehow got the two 8mm bolts fished into the upper water manifold what a bitch!  there down under the fuel regulator behind the head. and it all had to go together at the same time for clearance issues. god I hope there are no leaks back there. ::)

I found these stainless steel flat bars that I will use for muffler hangers at a scrap recyclers for less than 1.00 each! ;D

maybe by tomorrow I will have the fuel rail charged and coolant system filled ;D

Offline Jluck

I worked on the audikick all day today. :) spent the majority of the time with wiring and routing. then on to the exhaust. the down-pipe back to the muffler will be done and installed once I can find a way to bore two 1" holes in the stainless for O2 sensors.
I put some fuel in it today and that was a damn good feeling! ;D
also filled the cooling system with water to leak check before the OEM antifreeze goes in.

I can hear the fuel pump running but there is no rail pressure  ??? will look at that more tomorrow.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Nice weld on that pipe. ;)
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
I like the two pieces of "shop equipment" in the background, looks like a workbench. 
;)
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

yep those redneck workbenches are great. they are incredibly stout too. I have used them for Jack stands in the past. I used-to empty allot of those "shop equipments".  ;)

Offline Jluck

good productive day on the Audikick.

-got holes drilled for o2 bungs (thanks drew and greenlee) also welded them in I put in two but might only use one for now. then I heat wrapped the down-pipe.

moving to electrical

-I moved the factory and winch/acc. wiring to behind the washer res. to clean up the bay a bit. I had to heat and mold the res. just a bit and lengthen some of the wires but it was well worth it IMO. it really cleaned things up.

-intake,air filter,cables...

- oh the little things....starts feeling good when things like the battery cables go on! (check out those custom 4/0 monsters that I build) also ran multiple grounds. (I'm a ground wire freak).
-I think I managed to build the worlds heaviest intake tube  ::) it only 4" long but I used a sidekick axle tube. (it was the only thing I could find the correct size.)
-capped it off with a good 'ol K&N
- also got the exhaust in and suspended to the muffler.(waiting on a stainless flowmaster) then I will finish it 100%
-then finished the night by getting my gauges put in the pod and building them a wire harness.

thats about it. I might order my stand-alone Monday and my harness is being worked on right now....she will run soon ;D

oh yea....I hooked up the starter wire and turned the motor over with the key today!!!!!!!!!!! just to hear it crank!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
WOW, your patience and attention to detail is really paying off!!!  I can't believe how nice that engine bay looks!!!!