Hello Guest

4WD always on

• 18 Replies

Offline 3stagevtec

• killing two stones with one bird...
Re: 4WD always on
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
I figured having the full hard copy would make finding stuff much easier, but If I were to pay for it, I would like to get all 4 sections.

I was actually looking in the wrong pdf file, so that's why I was having a hard time finding the troubleshooting table in section 7E. It's only until you mentioned page 6 that I figured I was looking in the wrong place.

I went through the table and realized that I was getting a constant 0V from the A4 pin in the harness (or the B/O wire). The constant 0V represents 4H or 4L. I am supposed to get around 6.8V when in 2H or N.

Now, with the switch disconnected from the TC, I am getting the exact 6.8V from the A4 pin as suggested by the FSM and the 4WD indicator on the dash has turned off.

I checked to see if the B/O wire was grounded and found that it was not.

So now it appears that the 4WD switch on the TC is bad.. I am now going to try and remove it to further test the switch. (I figure i'll cut the wires to get it out easy! lol)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:10:36 PM by 3stagevtec »

Offline 3stagevtec

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
I got the switch off and getting continuity across the two terminals on it, whether I depress the switch or not.. Actually, the movable pin on the switch is not coming all the way out. If I pull it all the way out, the circuit will open but once I press it back in, it sticks in that position.

By the way, what is the 2nd switch on the TC for?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:55:50 PM by 3stagevtec »

Online fordem

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »
As far as I know there's only one switch on the transfer case - where did you find a second one?  If it's on the right side, you're probably looking at the speed sensor. 
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline 3stagevtec

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »
As far as I know there's only one switch on the transfer case - where did you find a second one?  If it's on the right side, you're probably looking at the speed sensor. 

yeah, it was on the right..

Many thanks for all the assistance!