Hello Guest

about electric fans?

• 5 Replies

Offline PhilipG

about electric fans?
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
I am sure this has been talked to death, but I have been away form Samurais for quite a while. all the threads I found tell me HOW to install an electric fan. I want to know-other than the alledged cool factor-why are you installing an electric cooling fan? Does it really free up that much horsepower? My rig is sort of apart as we put a new clutch in so this would be a good time to do it if necessary. Thanks. PG

Online fordem

Re: about electric fans?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
If your Samurai has a viscous clutch fan (I believe most US models do), the horsepower/gas mileage gains will be insignificant, so that leaves one reason - you can turn it off before entering water.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
In my case the viscous fan was trashed from wading, the power/mpg gains are not noticable.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline PhilipG

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
Thanks folks. I have an 87 sammi, sold here in the US. I assume I have whatever typr of clutch you are talking about and if I don't need to change it out I won't. Don't do much water, either highdesert in New Mexico or Coastal Bend of Texas on the beach.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
If it's not a water or space issue, the stock one works great. If it works, don't fix it  ;)
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Merlin93

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
... I assume I have whatever type of clutch you are talking about and if I don't need to change it out I won't.
You can see a fan clutch, often called a clutch fan, for some unfathomable reason, at:
http://www.petroworks.com/Products.php?Action=ViewProduct&ProductID=98 

They all eventually wear out, and almost everyone has had to replace theirs after 15-20 years. I think it's easiest to do with the radiator out.  That way you don't have to remove the water pump, which is another wear-out item. I'd rather not lose what little trail time I get to trail-side repairs, and so I prefer to replace these wear-out parts before they fail. I don't much enjoy lying in the mud/dirt trying to get going again.