Hello Guest

Transfer cases

• 2 Replies

Transfer cases
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
I can't find a clear explination or drawing of Suzuki's 4x4 systems. Long story short, I'm doing a H27A engine swap into the x90. What I'd like is a full time awd system similar to a Subaru. This means the transfercase -must- contain a center differential. From what I've been reading, the Grand Vitara offered 2 versions of 4x4. One of them is selectable (2wd/4hi/4lo) and the other is controlled by the traction control system. I'm going to assume the electronically controlled one has a center diff and uses the abs system to brake the slipping axle. Is this correct? Is there any mechanical or electronic control of the transfer case itself such as a solinoid/motor controlled clutch pack or anything of that sort? Or is it simply just a single range (4hi) tcase with a center diff? Is the front axle switched in/out at all?
If there is a transfer cazse with a center diff that will bolt to a Vitara manual transmission, can you guys get me a list of years/models that have it so I know what to buy?

Is this one of them? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Transfer-Case-27085-ASSY-MT-T-CASE-54K-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aGrandQ20VitaraQQhashZitem43a343e0e1QQitemZ290501943521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: Transfer cases
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
That link appears to be for a 4X transfer case for the GV.  While it states ALL ENGINES, the Fit / Interchange lists the 2.5 Liter Vitara.  The XL7 2.7 uses a larger input and rear output shaft on the Transfer case (front shaft is same for Kicks, Vits, GV's, XL7's).  The inner gears will readily interchange.

93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Re: Transfer cases
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
I'm trying to avoid opening anything and swapping gears. This is what I need. I need a 2.7L engine, manual trans (from 2.7L), and a single-mode AWD transfer case for the 5-speed. I'm cramming this in an x90 and trying to figure out the major components first. I can always get driveshaft yokes for whatever tcase I use.

So far I've found out pre '06 GVs do not have a center diff and the 06+ GV has 2 transfer case options both with a center diff. A single-mode and 4-mode. They can be found with automatic or manual and v6. Can someone verify?

EDIT - Ok it looks like the '06-'08 manual have the awd tcase I'm after. Now to find the H27A and some pistons and rods.

Anyone know where I can find the compression height for the H27A?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:49:22 PM by lazzer408 »