Hello Guest

Buggy Buildup

• 9 Replies

Offline 586ZJ

Buggy Buildup
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
Hey all, Ive been lurking on this forum for a few years now. Was registered previously as 90lsi about 3 years ago.  Anyways I am undergoing a fully caged buggy build on my 1990 Geo Tracker.  3 years ago I had owned this, lifted it 2in and ran 245/65 16 MT/R's on it.  I loved the truck but wanted 4 doors, SFA, V8, and coils all around.  So I went Jeep and got a 1996 Grand Cherokee. Lifeted 3.5" on 31x10.50 15 Adventuro MT's. But now I want a wheelin' only rig, and what else to build but my old Tracker that went anywhere I wanted... Onto the pics...

This is what she used to look like before I sold her 2 years ago

Theres essentially no more floor, rockers, lower doors etc on it. So I got it back from my buddy I sold it to yesterday for free. Not running, needing some fuel relay wiring done, etc.

As of today she runs again and I started the teardown.

Offline 586ZJ

Re: Buggy Buildup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »
Now here is where I get into a dilemma, I have many projects going on at all times and will complete this for sure but I want to keep the cost down if I can. With that said I have no problem fabbing and welding, I had quite a few buddies familiar with suspension geometry and frame building skills.

I am undecided to go SFA or IFS. I will not be rock crawling with this truck, it is inteded for trails, mudholes, sand dunes and the occasional jump.  MY intentions are for a low COG, big tires (33 or 35) and decent suspension travel (not too stiff).

If I go SFA, I can do leafs or coils with a link setup. But if I stay IFS I want to beef everything up for sure.  Maybe even go toyota IFS for a long arm application.

Now as far as the rear goes, its either coils and 4 link or IRS long arm (if I do long arm IFS).  I have yet to see someone do an IRS long arm system, or any IRS system at that matter.  Let me know what you guys think or any info you can throw at me and I will post pics as I move along with the project! Enjoy!

Offline utahskibum

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »
I did some mudding with my Tracker before the sas and it does move better through the mud with the ifs. You are not pushing an axle tube and diff through the mud as they are tucked up and almost "float" over the gooey stuff. As you know, there will be strength gearing issues using ifs with 33's.  I would love to see you do a Toy ifs swap- that would be cool. 

Offline 586ZJ

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
I really want to but we will see.  I think this truck would be best setup on a full independent suspension with extended arms all around. I do want a wider track and that would help with CV angles.  It really doesn't need to be too tall with larger tires.  If I do this Ill keep 33s all around.

Offline 586ZJ

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Well tonight I got busy with the sawzall.

Chopped the rollbar out

Removed front seats and carpets

Found a classy license plate floor!

And finished bu cutting out the rear floorpan and seats

Now, I have pretty much figure ou how I want to do this rig.  Itll be loosely based off of Rockstar and Darkstar builds. I know it has eben covererd before but mine may be different in some ways.  I plan to do the frame lengthen and drop, but only 3" drop to keep a low COG,.  The rear will not be bobbed and tapered in either.  Next is to stripdown the front end and analyze the frame condition, then we con proceed from there.  The more I get into this truck, the more I realize I will have to ditch.  My original plan was to keep the firewall and windshield, but we will see how rotten they are.  The rest of the truck is garbage, and I am very glad that I got this thing off of the road for good!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:09:57 PM »
Another thought I've mentioned to quite a few people now, but might be an option for you...check it out.  Keep the idea of Independent Front Suspension, but all the benefits of Toyota hardware.  I had to search for this because I keep forgetting to add it to my favorites.
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=12186
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline 586ZJ

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the info! That looks like it can be pretty straight foreward and work well into what I want to accomplish. Ill keep my eyes open for some components or a rollover.

Offline 586ZJ

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:23:09 AM »
What are you guys using to build your cages from? I know I can use DOM (heavy but cheaper) or Chromoly (light and expensive). Is the cost justifiable for the weight savings? I am trying to keep this truck as light as possible, but also inexpensive... The cage is going to be the largest cost in the whole project.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
license plate floor pans... awesome!
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:47:37 AM »
What are you guys using to build your cages from? I know I can use DOM (heavy but cheaper) or Chromoly (light and expensive). Is the cost justifiable for the weight savings? I am trying to keep this truck as light as possible, but also inexpensive... The cage is going to be the largest cost in the whole project.
Use DOM so you can mig it.

Chromoly really needs to either be heat treated afterwards (not practical for a cage) or tig'd.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it