Hello Guest

Transmission/transfer question...I think.

• 9 Replies

Offline thedeep

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Transmission/transfer question...I think.
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
'88 Sami. Trans was a little noisy, so (on someone's recommendation) I added some heavier gear oil 90-140. the next day, a new harsher noise. I'm crawling around under it tonight and I notice that with the trans in neutral the drive shaft is spinning to the transfer. I thought trans in neutral--no movement. Noise sounds like it's in the trans. I'm thinking about dropping all of the oil and refilling with regular 70-90. Any other ideas?
OH, it seems that the noise goes away when I hit fourth. Noisy in the lower three gears.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Transmission/transfer question...I think.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »
The heavier oil could be causing a viscous coupling effect in the trans?  ??? Just a guess.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline thedeep

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
That is one of the issues I was wondering about. Now, I don't feel so crazy. Thanks. Hope others have an idea to offer.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:11 AM »
Trans and t-case in neutral will do that, but not if the T-case is in gear.

Noise in lower gears sounds like trans bearings, you might need a
bearing kit and redo the trans
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
Noise in any gear except 4th is generally worn tranny bearings.  A rebuild kit with new bearings and synchros should fix the problem.
The thicker oil was causing the output shaft to turn, even though the tranny was in neutral.  It will even do it with the lighter oil, in colder weather.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline thedeep

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »
So, I went out this morning for some more investigating. As above with transfer in neutral, the drive shaft from transmission turns. Now, I put the transfer in gear and the rear drive shaft turns--even though the transmission is in neutral. I can stop the rear tire with some pressure from the side. I should mention that I have the rear end jacked up. I ran through the gears and the noise does quit in fourth. So, it sounds like bearings are the problem, YES? I am not the world's (or even my small town's) best mechanic, so doing a bearing job may be beyond my expertise. However, I can sure pull the trans (I had to do it twice to get a clutch in). Maybe I should just look for another transmission? Any good sources for a good used transmission? I certainly cannot afford a new one. I am open to any and all ideas. Thanks in advance for the help!!

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
its not that hard to rebuild a transmission. just follow the directions and you should be ok.

p.s the rebuild kit cost $85 at http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-134357-samurai-transmission-rebuild.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:57:29 AM by avation officer »

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
Before you dig in too deep, change the gear oil out for what the factory calls for and drop the intermediate driveline and closely check the U-joints. There's a good chance you might just have a dry sticky joint causing the noise. Been there, done that. If you have any question about one of those joints, replace both with greasable ones from O'reilly Auto Parts and go from there. Afterall, they are not serviceable from the factory and after spinning like hell for 24 years you'd be a bit lopsided, noisy and dry too...
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
Afterall, they are not serviceable from the factory and after spinning like hell for 24 years you'd be a bit lopsided, noisy and dry too...
:laugh:

LOL great quote, I like it
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Before you dig in too deep, change the gear oil out for what the factory calls for and drop the intermediate driveline and closely check the U-joints. There's a good chance you might just have a dry sticky joint causing the noise. Been there, done that. If you have any question about one of those joints, replace both with greasable ones from O'reilly Auto Parts and go from there. Afterall, they are not serviceable from the factory and after spinning like hell for 24 years you'd be a bit lopsided, noisy and dry too...

Maybe your were replaced? Because all my 87's have always had greasable u-joints.

No samurai had greasable factory ujoints (neither did any trackick, FYI....they all use the same sized ujoints).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.