Hello Guest

Front end still hot after Bearings repacked / greased, whirling noise Sidekick

• 49 Replies

Offline sohip

I repacked the front with bearings because they were getting hot in 2wd .(Kick-fix.com)

So all is good but for the 1st time I locked the hubs and put it in 4 HI (for the first time ever, I just got it).   And there is a whirling gear noise in the front and after driving around at 40 for a while I take it home and the hubs are cooking hot.

In 2wd there are no noises or issues. Ill change the oil in the front axle tomorrow, and see if the whirling goes away.  Cant understand the heat from the hubs though.  

I got some good used hubs and bearings from a wrecker (mine were rusted and scored).  They looked like awesome shape. 

Can anyone help ?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:24:25 PM by sohip »
1993 Sidekick 4dr, Auto, Winch

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
How tight did you put on the bearing nut?
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline sohip

I think its supposed to be 89 -150 pounds or something.

I just snug tightened by hand and got a drift and tap, tap, taped till it was pretty tight.  I have no tool.  you think its too tight ?  The tires spin easily by hand,  just a little drag on the brakes.

Should i loosen it up a bit ?

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline wildgoody

Ya, I think it's too tight, hope you didn't fry the bearings.

I would tighten the nut by hand and go to the next hole
in the lock ring, Ya, I know it's supposed to be like 150
lbs but I think that's too tight, and I have almost 300,000
miles on my original bearings, so I must be doing something
right

Wild

Offline sohip

Thanks for helping me again.

thats about 1/16th of a turn... I turned it about 1/4 + ... way too tight.  I read that 150 pound and tapped away.

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline wildgoody

Ya, well at least you didn't drive it till the wheels fell off  ;)

You got to leave room for the grease in there, and if you
mic the grease you will see it has a dimension, and that's the
layer that protects the metal from wear

Wild

Offline sohip

I opened it up repacked with grease front and back bearings and tightened it alot lighter.  I hand tightened and turned to the 1st 16th hole and put in the 4 philips screws.

SAME result.  the hubs still get cooking hot.  Maybe Im an idiot but can these be run at 30-40 in 4wd on the road or is 4x4 only supposed to be used when im stuck and at very low speeds.

Also, is there at bearing where the CV goes into the spindle ? The girl I bought it from NEVER put it in 4x4 for like 4 years.  Maybe thats heating up and conducting, i cant even put my hand on the lug nuts after a 15-20 min drive in 4x4 ....

Any ideas ?

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline wildgoody

You should be able to drive with hubs locked at any speed for as long as you want.

You are meaning driving with hubs locked and not engaged in 4wd right???

Yes there is a brass bushing inside where the CV axle goes into the hub/knuckle assembly,
and it does need to be greased, but it doesn't need much.

Are you sure you don't have a brake caliper causing dragging pads heating up the whole thing?
I would suspect that first, also what color are the bearings? pitted galled blue at all or shiny and
looked chromed? if they are discolored in any way you might need to replace them.

What is your definition of hand tightened?? using your hand or a socket/ratchet or wrench???

Wild

Offline sohip

No i mean with it engaged in 4x4.... I was testing it driving at 30-40 mph for 15-20 minutes engaged in 4x4.

If i drive with it 2wd and hubs engaged I dont think I will have a problem just a little whirly noise but thats not my concern right now...

The tire spins freely with slight drag of the caliper,  very slight and normal. My slide pins work well and let go of the brakes ok.

Hand tight is just spinning the nut on using a small screw driver (through on of the holes) and putting as much pressure as I can which is really not much at all... no tools, no hammering just the pressure in my wrist.

The spindle is blued/brownish and the bearing are slightly discolored but no galling or pitting.  Maybe heat has compromised them but the tire turns like butter ?/

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
If the spindle is blued it's definitely been overheated, same with the bearings. I can't imagine them being too tight the way your doing it. I know Wild's bearings have to be the worlds longest lasting bearings for sure, and if it works for him, it must be a good way to adjust them. Mine though, I always tighten them to torque recommended in the fsm. I've had loose ones get used up on me.
I don't understand how being in 4wd would make any difference though. Wouldn't the bearings be spinning regardless of wether it's in 2 or 4 wd?

I tend not to run mine in 4wd at higher than 25 or so on dry pavement. On gravel or dirt roads I've hit 60+ in 4wd, but the loose surface allows some slippage of the tires. Maybe it's the running on dry pavement, but that still doesn't explain the spindle getting so hot.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline sohip

Yeah,  the bearings are turning regardless of 2wd or 4wd but I think they are getting "driven" by the power train and is a little harder on them in 4x4... (?)

I  am assuming i can drive my sidekick like I drive my wifes explorer (ie highway speeds in 4 HI) or any new truck I run highway speeds for 200 miles in 4x4 when the weather is cold and maybe a chance will slip on black ice or something.  Maybe im just dumb and these are sidekick, trackers arent really made for this type of driving.

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline Medford

I may be talking the wrong style, but when you re-repacked was there still plenty of grease there or did it exit out the rear seal?  Is there any discoloration of the brake disc? Wild or Bent, do these get snugged then backed off then re-snugged to torque spec, or is there another way?
96 Tracker LSI, 2.5" Pro Comp lift with cooper 30X9.5 STT tires.  A bit of trim and beating to make the front work.

Offline sohip

Medford,  There was lots of grease in there.  I originally just repacked a week or so ago,  no leaking out the back seal.

I had it up with all 4 wheels off the ground and no dragging on the breaks.  The spindle was a little loose when I had it apart, thats why i was asking about the CV bushing.  Next thing to check maybe that.  The spindle wiggles around a bit. Is it supposed to be tight in there ?

Edmonton, Alberta

Offline Medford

Spindle shouldn't have much play.  You got the right two guys (Bent and Wild) helping you with this.  I would just hold off a bit and see what they come up with.  Are both sides getting hot?
96 Tracker LSI, 2.5" Pro Comp lift with cooper 30X9.5 STT tires.  A bit of trim and beating to make the front work.

Offline sohip

Both sides, are getting hot  >:(

I got the diff bolt off with a pipe wrench since the inside was stripped and it full of oil. 

Maybe CV/spindle has too much play...  When  I had all 4 wheels off the ground and I put the E-BRAKE (lock the back wheels) on and 4 low the front wheels were shaking pretty good, when I gassed it.  (If that means anything?)

Edmonton, Alberta