Hello Guest

1987 Sammi Project

• 72 Replies

Offline z3ro

Re: 1987 Sammi Build
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »
whatever you do dont buy the RRO speaker boxes lol, its a bad idea.  this rig looks good man, keep it up!!

Are you talking about the kick panel ones or the ones that go near the roll bar?  They all looked bad to me  :)

Offline z3ro

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »
Got the passenger seat brackets mounted in.  Tomorrow I'll protect the floor with bed liner and take pics.  Oddly enough, the passenger seat sliders are offset a bit.  Good thing I did one mount at a time and didn't just measure it all out.  I would have had a crooked seat.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Nice looking pictures.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline z3ro

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
More progress this weekend:

Floor primed for roll on bed liner:

Grille sanded and primed:

I got the floor done, the package tray mounted, the seats in, and the grill painted and on.  The zuk is back outside finally.

Offline z3ro

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Alright folks, I got some more work done on the zook.

The seats are in, the floor is done, the rear lights are wired (correctly this time, stupid previous owner), the alternator is in (not wired yet) and the battery re-wire is in work.

Pics:

I decided to use a skyjacker stabilizer rather than the OME one.  I took the stock one off.  I haven't driven it yet to see the difference, but the stock stabilizer was trashed.  No wonder the zook was all over the road.

MB Quart Mid-Bass:

I also decided to take out the left and right vents and mount the tweeters from my MB Quart component set on their place.  I had to fabricate some panels out of MDF.  I did it in such a way that if I ever wanted to, I could re-attach the factory vents with no problem.

I think it turned out pretty clean looking:

The driver side was more difficult because the vent trim won't come out.  It's either part of the dash or really stuck in there.  I didn't want to force it so I worked with it.  The MB quart tweeters are almost perfect for the hole:

Here is the stock wimpy 55 amp sammi alternator next to the 105 amp CS130:

I'll post more pics when the alternator is wired up tomorrow.  It's a tight fit for sure.  For those that want to know, I used a 35.5" v belt, the original top bracket, and a custom made lower bracket for a 10SI/12SI.  I had to shim it with washers, so I'll take pics of that possibly tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the grille is done.  Pics to come.  I also ordered a complete diamond plate kit for the doors, new regulators, and some other goodies.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:42:58 PM by z3ro »

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
great some updates. that tweeter is a great idea I will have to do that since where the stock speakers are supposed to go the last owner hacked out these giant holes so he could mount speaker boxes in by the feet. the seats look great too hopefully once I get this new 1.6L 8V head I picked up rebuilt I will start on putting neon seats in mine.
1993 4door Suzuki Sidekick JX

Offline z3ro

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »
I think I'm going to try and head to the pick-a-part and get the back seat from that neon.  Then I'll have a shop cut it down and re-sew it to fit my back seat. 

I'm also looking for an electric fan and whatever else I can find at the junkyard (maybe some YJ or CJ springs).

Offline jow003

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
looks good man, i meant the ones by the roll bar.  good quality but designed to fit a jeep not a samurai as advertised >:(
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline z3ro

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 06:59:18 PM »
Yeah they didn't look like they would fit like in the pictures.  I am just going to do an MDF panel on the tailgate to house a couple of 6x9s or something. 

I ordered a 4 piece diamond plate interior kit today and my LEDs should be here tomorrow.  Getting the alt wired up tonight if I feel like it.  The zook is quite comfortable in the garage so no worries.

Re: 1987 Sammi Project
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 08:06:51 PM »
Looking good man ...

I am a long ways from radio ..lol the last hing on my list. Im going to turn my tail gate into storage I think ... we shall see.

I need to find me some reasonable priced fender flares ... I just cant see spending 300 on plastic that I will most likely rip off the first tight trail I run.

anyways looking good ...keep at it and post those pics

KFTC!
Living the Dream in Communist California 
2002 vw golf tdi 300k miles 47 mpg avg
1988 vw1.6td  suzuki samurai trail blazer

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »
Clean looking project. :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
Yeah they didn't look like they would fit like in the pictures.  I am just going to do an MDF panel on the tailgate to house a couple of 6x9s or something. 

I ordered a 4 piece diamond plate interior kit today and my LEDs should be here tomorrow.  Getting the alt wired up tonight if I feel like it.  The zook is quite comfortable in the garage so no worries.

Ok I'm sorry for a dumb question that I might know the answer to already but what is "MDF" I may know it by another name and I drool every time I pass your Zuk sitting outside your place LOL. I want to stop in sometime and meet you (Is that ok though?)
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline z3ro

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »
Yeah thats cool man.

MDF is "Medium Density Fiberboard" and is most commonly used for speaker enclosures.  It's low resonance makes it ideal.

I may end up making my own radio mount since the factory plastic one is terrible...

Offline jow003

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »
im trying to make my cabin waterproof so im using a marine grade head unit case.  from what i can see of yours, your not going that route (cloth/cushion seats) but its an idea you may be able to build off of
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline z3ro

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Currently I don't have any leakage inside.  I don't foresee any issues either but if I do I'll take care of them instantly.  The cloth seats are because they are comfortable and really cheap.  I contemplated the poly bucket seats but just didn't like them at all.

I don't plan on wheeling through rivers, so I don't really see an issue.  I am looking into a waterproof style radio housing to modify and put in the stock location just because the stock one is so bad in every way.